Convert Julian Dates to Decimal

• Thread starter grandpa2390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses an example problem in an Astrophysics textbook that involves calculating the time elapsed since a reference date in decimal form. The reference date is given as January 1, 2000 at noon and the example problem gives the date as July 30, 2005 at noon, which is equivalent to 2005.575. The formula for calculating T is (t - JD2000) / 100, where t is today's date expressed as a decimal. The person has tried various methods to calculate T, but the correct solution is simply dividing 210 days (the interval from July 30 back to Jan 1) by 365.25. The conversation ends with the realization that the solution was much
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

There's an example problem in Astrophysics textbook that involves calculating T (time elapsed since last reference date as a decimal)
the date is July 30, 2005 at noon. and the reference date is Jan 01, 2000 at noon. the calendar starts on Jan 01, 2000 so that it is just 2000

the example problem gave the date as 2005.575

Homework Equations

the formula is T = (t - JD2000) / 100 where t is today's date expressed as a decimal

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried taking July 30 as the 211 day in the year and divided it by 365.25. this gave me .578
I have tried adding 1.25 days to 211 (quarter day for 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004) and dividing that by 365.25. ===.5811
I have tried adding 1.25 + the fraction of .25 up until 211 days for 2005 and got .5815.

I have tried a variety of things. I worked backwards from .575 and found that in order to get this figure, I have to divide 211 days by 367.

Maybe the textbook just rounded weird. or maybe there is some formula I'm supposed to be using to calculate this correctly. and if I don't have that formula, I will make fatal errors in later calculations.
Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
July 30 is the 211th day of the year, so the interval from July 30 back to Jan 1 is just 210 days. January 2 is the second day of the year, and the elapsed time from Jan 1 to Jan 2 is just 1 day. If you take 210/365.25, you get 0.575.

Likes grandpa2390
phyzguy said:
July 30 is the 211th day of the year, so the interval from July 30 back to Jan 1 is just 210 days. January 2 is the second day of the year, and the elapsed time from Jan 1 to Jan 2 is just 1 day. If you take 210/365.25, you get 0.575.

D'OH! :doh:
I love when the solution is so simple for once. Thanks!

1. What is a Julian date?

A Julian date is a continuous count of days and fractions of days since noon Universal Time on January 1, 4713 BCE. It is commonly used in scientific applications for its simplicity and accuracy in representing dates.

2. How do I convert a Julian date to decimal?

To convert a Julian date to decimal, subtract the integer representation of the Julian date from the Julian date itself, and then multiply the result by 24. This will give you the decimal representation of the time in hours.

3. What is the purpose of converting Julian dates to decimal?

Converting Julian dates to decimal allows for easier calculations and comparisons between dates. It also allows for more precise time measurements, as decimals can represent fractions of hours.

4. Can I convert a decimal date back to a Julian date?

Yes, you can convert a decimal date back to a Julian date by dividing the decimal by 24, adding the integer representation of the Julian date, and then rounding the result to the nearest whole number.

5. Is there a formula or algorithm for converting Julian dates to decimal?

Yes, the formula for converting Julian dates to decimal is: (JD - int(JD)) * 24, where JD is the Julian date and int(JD) is the integer representation of the Julian date. This formula can also be used to convert decimal dates back to Julian dates by reversing the calculation.