Special Relativity: Trip to Andromeda by rocket

In summary, The problem involves determining the speed of a rocket traveling to Andromeda within a lifetime. Using the spacetime interval equation, the time interval for the rocket frame is found to be 20 years. The space interval for the Earth frame is 2 million light years. Using the approximation (1+z)n ≈ 1+nz, an expression for the velocity in terms of the spacetime interval and the space interval was derived.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

This is from chapter 1 (2nd edition) of Taylor and Wheeler's 'Spacetime Physics.'

It's a four part problem, and I didn't have any troubles with parts a, b, or c. I'm stuck on part d. I'm supposed to determine if we could make it to Andromeda within a lifetime.

Assume that the Andromeda galaxy is 2 million light years distant from Earth. Treat both Earth and Andromeda as points, and neglect any relative motion between them.

d. Trip 3: Now set the rocket time for the one-way trip to 20 years, which is all the time you want to spend getting to Andromeda. In this case, what is your speed as a decimal fraction of the speed of light?
Discussion: Solutions to many exercises in this text are simplified by using the following approximation, which is the first two terms in the binomial expansion
$$(1+z)^n~\approx~1+nz$$
if
$$z\ll1$$

Here n can be positive or negative, a fraction or an integer; z can be positive or negative, as long as its magnitude is very much smaller than unity. This approximation can be used twice in the solution to part d.

Homework Equations

$$(spacetime~interval)^2=(difference~in~time~readings)^2-(difference~in~space~readings)^2$$
$$I^2=(\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x)^2$$

3. My attempt at a solution

Following the above equation, I assumed that ##\Delta t=20~yrs## and that ##\Delta x=2.00\times10^6~yrs##

This gives me

$$I^2=(20~yrs)^2-(2.00\times10^6~yrs)^2$$

Which led me to

$$I^2=-4\times 10^{12}~ yrs$$

Which is a negative number. This solution didn't make sense to me.

Then I tried calculating it directly by converting the distance of ##2.00\times 10^6~yrs## into meters, and 20 years into seconds. This gave me

$$2.00\times 10^6~yrs ~ \times ~ \frac{31,536,000~s}{1~yr}~\times~3.00\times 10^8~\frac{m}{s}=1.89216\times10^{22}~m$$

And

$$20~yrs~\times~\frac{31,536,000~s}{1~yr}=630,720,000~s$$

Then dividing distance by time I get ##3.00\times10^{13}~ m/s##

Which is faster than c, and clearly wrong.

Since they mention the binomial expansion, I'm assuming that I have to incorporate it in this problem somehow. I'm not seeing how to go about doing that. Do I need to somehow incorporate the difference between the Earth frame and the rocket frame in calculating my time interval? Is the space interval going to be different than the 2 million years? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumCurt said:

Homework Equations

$$(spacetime~interval)^2=(difference~in~time~readings)^2-(difference~in~space~readings)^2$$
3. My attempt at a solution

Following the above equation, I assumed that ##\Delta t=20~yrs## and that ##\Delta x=2.00\times10^6~yrs##

This gives me
$$I^2=(20~yrs)^2-(2.00\times10^6~yrs)^2$$
In which frame of reference is the time interval 20 yrs? In which frame of reference is the distance 2 million light years?

When calculating the spacetime interval between two event using ##I^2=(\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x)^2##, do ##\Delta t## and ##\Delta x## need to be measured in the same inertial frame?

Sample problem 1-2 of chapter 1 is good preparation for your problem.

Likes QuantumCurt
The time interval 20 yrs is in the frame of reference of the rocket. Since event 1 (leaving Earth) and event 2 (arriving at Andromeda) both occur at the same point (at the rocket) in the frame of reference of the rocket, could I then say that the space interval is zero?

This would mean that ##I=20~yrs## in the frame of the rocket, correct?

Yes, that's right.

Likes QuantumCurt
Now, is it correct that the spacetime interval for both the Earth frame and the rocket frame are the same?

The space interval from the Earth frame is 2 million years. Do I need to use this and the spacetime interval to find the time interval from the Earth frame?

QuantumCurt said:
Now, is it correct that the spacetime interval for both the Earth frame and the rocket frame are the same?

Yes! :)

The space interval from the Earth frame is 2 million years. Do I need to use this and the spacetime interval to find the time interval from the Earth frame?

Yes, but I would recommend solving the resulting equation for ##\Delta t## in terms of the symbols ##\Delta x## and ##I## without plugging in any numbers yet.

Or, you could first express ##\Delta t## in terms of the rocket speed ##v## and ##\Delta x## and then use this in the expression for the spacetime interval to get an equation for ##v##.

Likes QuantumCurt
So could I write this expression for ##\Delta t## like this?

$$\Delta t^2=I^2+\Delta x^2$$
$$\Delta t=[I^2+\Delta x^2]^{1/2}$$

Then use the approximation for the binomial expansion to get

$$\Delta t=I^2+\frac{1}{2}\Delta x^2$$

Then I'd use this along with the space interval from the Earth frame to find the velocity?

Last edited:
Or would I want to reverse ##I^2## and ##\Delta x^2## to get $$\Delta t=\Delta x^2+\frac{1}{2}I^2$$

Since I is much smaller than x?

QuantumCurt said:
So could I write this expression for ##\Delta t## like this?

$$\Delta t^2=I^2+\Delta x^2$$
$$\Delta t=[I^2+\Delta x^2]^{1/2}$$

OK, up to here.

Then use the approximation for the binomial expansion to get
$$\Delta t=I^2+\frac{1}{2}\Delta x^2$$

This is not a correct application of the approximation (1+z)n ≈ 1+nz. Note the 1 in this expression.
You can see that the left hand side of your equation is in years while the right had side is in (years)2.

I suggest that you stick with ##\Delta t=[I^2+\Delta x^2]^{1/2}## and use this to find an expression for ##v## in terms of ##I## and ##\Delta x## before using any approximations.

Likes QuantumCurt
Since ##v=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}##, I can just write this expression as $$v=\frac{\Delta x}{[I^2+\Delta x^2]^{1/2}}$$

Then I can do some factoring and get

$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{[I^2(1+\frac{\Delta x^2}{I^2})]^{1/2}}$$

Then

$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{I(1+\frac{\Delta x^2}{I^2})^{1/2}}$$

Then use an approximation to obtain

$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{I(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{\Delta x^2}{I^2})}$$

Am I on the right track here? Would the ##\Delta x^2## and the ##I^2## become ##\Delta x## and ##I## since I'm taking a square root?

QuantumCurt said:
$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{I(1+\frac{\Delta x^2}{I^2})^{1/2}}$$

Which would be better to factor out of the denominator: ##\small I## or ##\small \Delta x##? Which is a small quantity: ##\frac{\Delta x}{I}## or ##\frac{I}{\Delta x}##?

Likes QuantumCurt
Ahh...that makes sense. So I'm going to get this for my expression

$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{[\Delta x^2(1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2})]^{1/2}}$$
$$v=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta x(1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2})^{1/2}}$$
$$v=\frac{1}{(1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2})^{1/2}}$$
$$v=\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2}}$$

Does ##\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2}## become ##\frac{I}{\Delta x}## since I'm taking a square root?

If I use ##\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2}## I get a numerical answer of .99990001. If I use ##\frac{I}{\Delta x}## I get .999995. The answer given is ##1-5\times 10^{-11}=.99999999995##

I'm guessing there's still another step here. What am I missing or doing wrong? Thanks for the help. :)

QuantumCurt said:
$$v=\frac{1}{(1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2})^{1/2}}$$

Note that you can write this as $$v= \left ( 1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2} \right )^{-1/2} $$ Now try the approximation.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumCurt
Ah, there it is.

$$v= \left ( 1+\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2} \right )^{-1/2} $$

$$v=1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{I^2}{\Delta x^2}$$

$$v=1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{(20~yrs)^2}{(2.00\times10^6~yrs)^2}$$
$$v=1-\frac{1}{2}\frac{400}{4.00\times10^{12}}$$
$$v=1-5\times10^{-11}=.99999999995$$

It's interesting that this comes out directly as a percentage of c. With the other parts in this specific problem, I had to find the velocity in terms of m/s, and then take it as a ratio with c to find the final answer.

Thank you so much for the help. It was very much appreciated. :)

OK. Good work!

The easiest way to do this problem is to make use of the Lorentz Transformation:
[tex]\Delta x = \gamma(\Delta x'+v\Delta t')[/tex]
where the primes refer to the rocket frame.

Chet

I figured that would be the case, but I actually haven't gotten to that in this book yet. I've used the Lorentz Transformation in the honors project I did a couple semesters ago, but it won't be introduced in this book for a couple more semesters yet.

1. How long would it take to travel to Andromeda using special relativity by rocket?

The trip to Andromeda using special relativity would take approximately 28 years as measured by a clock on board the rocket. However, due to time dilation, this would only be equivalent to about 2.5 years for an observer on Earth.

2. What are the potential dangers of traveling at near-light speeds?

Traveling at near-light speeds can potentially be dangerous due to the high levels of radiation and cosmic rays encountered in space. The intense acceleration and deceleration required for such travel can also put strain on the human body and may cause health issues.

3. How is time affected during a trip to Andromeda using special relativity?

Time is affected by special relativity in two ways during a trip to Andromeda. First, time slows down for the travelers on the rocket due to time dilation. Second, time appears to speed up for observers on Earth due to length contraction.

4. What is the maximum speed that a rocket can reach using special relativity?

According to special relativity, the maximum speed that a rocket can reach is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed cannot be exceeded, regardless of the amount of energy put into the rocket.

5. How does special relativity affect the distance traveled during a trip to Andromeda?

Special relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its length in the direction of motion will contract. This means that the distance traveled to reach Andromeda would appear shorter for the travelers on the rocket than for observers on Earth.