1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert nitrate standard of 50 ppm to its nitrogen content

1. Jun 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Convert the nitrate standard of 50 ppm to its nitrogen content

2. Relevant equations
    Since NO3 contains one nitrogen, molar mass 14.01, in a total molar mass of 14.01 + (3 *16.00) = 62.01, the maximum concentration permitted expressed as nitrate ion itself is (62.01/14.01) *10= 44 ppm

This is what's in my books and I THINK it pertains to the question, however, I don't know why its being multiplied by 10 at the end.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess would be that it would be 50ppm divided by the maximum concentration permitted, so 50/44=1.136, but that's wrong since my books says it's 11ppm. Unless I need to multiply by that mysterious 10....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First of all - it is not clear to me how to understand "the nitrogen content".

But in general, assuming it just means concentration of nitrogen in ppm, none of the approaches listed makes sense to me. Yes, there are 14 g of nitrogen per 62 g of nitrate ion, so if there is 50 ppm of nitrate, concentration of nitrogen is 14/62*50 ppm. Nothing more fancy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted