Convert spring/mass system units from feet and pounds to SI?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Meadman23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    General System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Meadman23
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
In a spring/mass system problem, if you are given your values in units of feet and pounds, are you supposed to convert them to units of Newtons and meters??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are using formulae which have been designed for the mks system, then yes, you must use mks units.
 
Meadman23 said:
...I end up getting an answer in units of slugs.

Haha! I've never heard of slugs before! And I'm in the US. Is that sad? When will we stop being so stubborn and just use metric units? And rename football to handball?

As for your problem, it really depends on what your teacher wants. Though I'm guessing that's kilograms and not slugs.