Converting 20 Joules per Square Meter to Joules per Square Decimeter

• Thread starter chrisama
  • Start date
So the conversion factor would be 86,400 seconds = 1 day. In summary, to convert 20 Joules per square metre into Joules per square decimetre, you would multiply by the conversion factor of 86,400 seconds to 1 day, resulting in a different value than 20 Joules per square decimetre.
chrisama

Homework Statement

How would I convert 20Joules/sm^2 into 20J/dm^2?

Homework Equations

I would probably do some sort of proportion.

The Attempt at a Solution

1 day= 86,400 seconds. So, would I either divide by seconds or multiply by seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to convert 20 J/sm2 then you wouldn't get 20 J/dm2.

You would multiply by 86 400s and get some number other than 20.

At first I thought you meant second * metre in the first one. Then I looked at the second one and I thought you meant decimetre.
If the former is the case, then what is d?
If the latter is the case, then how do you want to convert seconds into something unit-less.

I think the d is referring to days, since in the solution attempt they have quoted how many seconds there are in a day.

1. What is a simple conversion problem?

A simple conversion problem is a mathematical question that involves converting a measurement from one unit to another. It typically involves using conversion factors to change the units of measurement.

2. Why are simple conversion problems important?

Simple conversion problems are important because they allow us to easily convert between different units of measurement, making it easier to compare and understand data. They are also frequently used in real-life situations, such as cooking, construction, and scientific experiments.

3. What are some common units of measurement used in simple conversion problems?

Some common units of measurement used in simple conversion problems include length (meters, feet), mass (grams, pounds), volume (liters, gallons), and time (seconds, minutes, hours).

4. How can I solve a simple conversion problem?

To solve a simple conversion problem, you first need to identify the units of measurement given and the units you want to convert to. Then, find the appropriate conversion factor and use it to convert the given measurement to the desired unit.

5. Can simple conversion problems involve more than two units of measurement?

Yes, simple conversion problems can involve more than two units of measurement. For example, you may need to convert from meters to kilometers to miles. In these cases, you will need to use multiple conversion factors to get to the desired unit.