Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting a Lead Acid Battery to Alkaline

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    I came across this interesting article to convert a standard lead acid battery into alkaline:

Seems very promising. Not only does the capacity increase slightly, but the battery also withstands deep discharges much better than a conventional lead acid. Still charge with approximately the same voltage. Perfect right? There are a few testimonials of the success and failures of people attempting this conversion.

I am just curious as to what you guys think. Would love to hear an intelligent opinion on this matter.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

No idea what is the chemistry behind, but claim that these batteries are clean is plainly wrong - if you convert an old acid battery, it still contains the same lead electrodes.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    Well actually, I was most interested in the fact that they claim these batteries can be cycled more deeply than conventional lead acid. Just wondering if there was a scientific explanation and why everyone shouldnt convert their lead acids.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?