Converting cm^-1 for Fine-Structure Energy Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an unfamiliar unit, cm^-1, for fine-structure energy difference in a species. The individual needs help converting this unit for statistical calculations. One suggestion is to use the relation between energy and frequency or to use the conversion factor found on the wiki-page for wavenumbers. Another individual believes that cm^-1 is the wave number k and provides a simple conversion to keV.
somy
I have seen in text that it used an unfamiliar unit for fine-structure energy difference in a species. The unit was: cm^-1.
I need these energies to do some statistical calculations in exp(-beta*E). Can anyone tell me how can I convert this unit or convert beta to this unit?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cm^-1 probably means that the the figures are given in units of inverse wavelengths (i.e. the wavenumber, but in this case without the [itex] 2\pi [/itex]).
You can either convert using the relation between energy and frequency which can also be written [itex]E= hc /\lambda [/itex], or simply look at the wiki-page on wavenumbers where you can find the conversion factor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavenumber

I believe the cm^-1 is the wave number k.
A simple conversion from cm^-1 to keV is
E(in eV)=[1.97X10^-5] k(in cm^-1).

Related to Converting cm^-1 for Fine-Structure Energy Difference

1. How do I convert cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference?

To convert cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference, you can use the formula: Energy difference (in eV) = cm^-1 / 8065.544. This will give you the energy difference in electron volts (eV).

2. Why is it important to convert cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference?

Converting cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference allows us to express energy differences in a more convenient unit, which is electron volts (eV). This unit is commonly used in many scientific fields, making it easier to compare and analyze energy differences.

3. Can I convert Fine-Structure Energy Difference to cm^-1?

Yes, you can convert Fine-Structure Energy Difference to cm^-1 by using the formula: cm^-1 = Energy difference (in eV) x 8065.544. This will give you the energy difference in cm^-1.

4. What is the relationship between cm^-1 and Fine-Structure Energy Difference?

Cm^-1 (inverse centimeters) is a unit of measurement commonly used in spectroscopy to express the energy of electromagnetic radiation. Fine-Structure Energy Difference is the difference in energy between two energy levels in an atom. The two units are related through the formula: cm^-1 = Fine-Structure Energy Difference / 8065.544

5. How do I use the conversion factor for converting cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference?

To convert cm^-1 to Fine-Structure Energy Difference, simply multiply the value in cm^-1 by the conversion factor of 1/8065.544. This will give you the energy difference in eV. Alternatively, you can divide the value in cm^-1 by 8065.544 to get the same result.