Converting cm to cm-1: How to Calculate 1/37

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter agentas
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
agentas
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
If i got my interval is 37 cm .And if i want to get in cm-1 I have to do this 1/37=0,027cm-1 right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
agentas said:
If i got my interval is 37 cm .And if i want to get in cm-1 I have to do this 1/37=0,027cm-1 right?

You want to get WHAT in cm-1? Not the same interval, I hope.
 
from some Lithium atomic spectrum which is equal 0.162A.This corresponds to 0.36cm-1
I still struggling to get this answer ,because if i take reciprocal of of it i can not get 0,36cm-1
 
0.162A is not even close to 1/3rd of cm. You are off by many orders of magnitude.
 
It would be a good start to figure out what are the quantities you are dealing with.
What quantity is given in A? Is it a wavelength?
And then what quantity do you want to calculate? Is it inverse wavelength or maybe the magnitude of the wave vector?