How to convert cm^-1 into erg or joules

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of converting cm^-1 into erg or joules, as cm^-1 is not a unit of energy. The energy of a photon with a wavelength of 1cm was suggested as a possible meaning for cm^-1, with a conversion factor of 100 h c or 1.99 x 10^-23 Joules. The unit was seen in a Chemistry problem about crystal fields.
AutisticAlien
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't seem to find how to convert cm^-1 into erg or joules... It's a pretty dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

You cant, because cm^(-1) is not a unit of energy. The base units of energy are m l t^(-2). For example Ergs are grams cm seconds^(-2) and Joules are kg m seconds^(-2).

The only meaning that I can think of for that is perhaps comparing the energy to that of a photon of wavelength one cm.

For example, a photon of wavelength 1mm would have an energy of 10 cm^(-1) and so on.

In that case the conversion factor would just be the energy of a photon wavelength 1cm, which is 100 h c, or about 1.99 x 10^(-23) Joules.

In what context did you see this unit used Alien?

Failed to mention context, sorry. But yes, it was the way you predicted. Thank you very much!

It was a Chemistry problem about crystal fields.

1. How do I convert cm^-1 to erg?

To convert from cm^-1 to erg, you can use the formula: 1 cm^-1 = 1.986 x 10^-23 erg. This means that you simply need to multiply the number of cm^-1 by 1.986 x 10^-23 to get the equivalent value in erg.

2. What is the conversion factor for cm^-1 to joules?

The conversion factor for cm^-1 to joules is 1.986 x 10^-23 J. This means that you can convert from cm^-1 to joules by multiplying the number of cm^-1 by 1.986 x 10^-23.

3. Can I use a calculator to convert cm^-1 to erg or joules?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert cm^-1 to erg or joules. Simply enter the number of cm^-1 and multiply it by the appropriate conversion factor (1.986 x 10^-23 for erg, or 1.986 x 10^-23 for joules).

4. Why do we need to convert from cm^-1 to erg or joules?

Converting from cm^-1 to erg or joules is necessary because cm^-1 is a unit of energy commonly used in spectroscopy, while erg and joules are the standard units of energy in the International System of Units (SI). This conversion allows for easier comparison and calculation of energy values in different units.

5. Is there a difference between converting cm^-1 to erg and cm^-1 to joules?

No, there is no difference between converting cm^-1 to erg and cm^-1 to joules. The only difference is in the unit of measurement, with erg being the unit of energy in the CGS system and joules being the unit of energy in the SI system. The conversion factor is the same for both.