1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to convert cm^-1 into erg or joules

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't seem to find how to convert cm^-1 into erg or joules... It's a pretty dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Re: Energy?

You cant, because cm^(-1) is not a unit of energy. The base units of energy are m l t^(-2). For example Ergs are grams cm seconds^(-2) and Joules are kg m seconds^(-2).

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3

uart

Science Advisor

The only meaning that I can think of for that is perhaps comparing the energy to that of a photon of wavelength one cm.

For example, a photon of wavelength 1mm would have an energy of 10 cm^(-1) and so on.

In that case the conversion factor would just be the energy of a photon wavelength 1cm, which is 100 h c, or about 1.99 x 10^(-23) Joules.

In what context did you see this unit used Alien?

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

Failed to mention context, sorry. But yes, it was the way you predicted. Thank you very much!

It was a Chemistry problem about crystal fields.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook