Freezing time for 1 cm of water

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to build a backyard skating rink in a region with fluctuating temperatures. They are considering building up the ice in small increments while the temperature is suitable, rather than using the traditional method which requires sustained sub-freezing temperatures. The speaker has questions about the time it takes for 1 cm of ice to freeze and the impact of surface area and temperature on the freezing time. They are not concerned about the melting of the ice at this point.
openbahr
Hey guys,

I have a question... first some backround. I am asking this question is so I can build a backyard skating rink in the fastest way possible. I live in south Jersey so winter is allot of freeze/thaw.

The common way for a backyard rink is 1) place a liner 2) fill 2-3 inches 3) let freeze.
This way, however, is tough in my climate because I would need many days of sub freezing temps to get a good slab of ice.

So...I want to build it up 1 mm or cm at a time, while the temp is right, instantly adding the next layer as soon as the previous one freezes thereby saving time.

Questions:
1) is there a set formula to figure how fast 1 cm will freeze?
2) does surface area matter ? (Im sure it does)
3) how does the time to freeze change as temp drops lower

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are way too many unknowns to solve the problem as given.

How are you going to make sure your ice doesn't melt when the temps go high?

I wasn't too concerned about the melting. I am just interested right now how long a cm would take. Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

1. How can time be frozen for 1 cm of water?

Freezing time for 1 cm of water is not possible in the traditional sense. Time is a continuous and unchangeable dimension, and cannot be manipulated or controlled. However, we can slow down the movement of water molecules through various methods such as lowering the temperature or adding chemicals that inhibit freezing.

2. What happens when water freezes?

When water freezes, its molecules slow down and form a rigid, crystalline structure. This results in a solid state of matter with a fixed shape and volume. The temperature at which this occurs is known as the freezing point of water, which is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Is it possible to freeze water instantly?

No, it is not possible to freeze water instantly. Even with the use of liquid nitrogen or other extreme cooling methods, it takes time for the water molecules to slow down and form a solid state. The process of freezing water will always take some amount of time.

4. Can you freeze time for a specific area of water?

While we cannot freeze time for a specific area of water, we can create localized freezing by using methods such as directional freezing or supercooling. These techniques allow us to control where and how ice forms on the surface of the water, but time itself cannot be frozen.

5. Will freezing 1 cm of water change its properties?

Yes, freezing water can change its properties. When water freezes, it expands and becomes less dense, leading to a decrease in volume. This expansion can cause damage to structures or containers holding the water, and it can also affect the density and buoyancy of the water itself.