Converting from degK/s to degC/s?

• Thread starter seichan
  • Start date
In summary, converting from Kelvin to Celsius requires subtracting 273, while converting from Celsius to Kelvin requires adding 273 (or 273.15). The two scales are offset by 273, with one starting at absolute zero and the other at the freezing point of water. The sizes of the two scales are the same, so an increase of 1 degree Kelvin is equivalent to an increase of 1 degree Celsius. The same conversion applies for derivatives, with an increase of 1 degree Kelvin per hour being equivalent to an increase of 1 degree Celsius per hour.
seichan
Alright, I know how to convert from Kelvin to Celsius (subtract 273), but I really don't know how many degrees Celsius are to Kelvin. (I need to convert .021 degK/s to deg/C)

Physics news on Phys.org
its the reverse. You add 273.
technically 273.15 (but whatever).

seichan said:
Alright, I know how to convert from Kelvin to Celsius (subtract 273), but I really don't know how many degrees Celsius are to Kelvin. (I need to convert .021 degK/s to deg/C)

1 degree Celcius = 1 degree Kelvin. The two scales are just offset from each other by the 273.

One starts at absolute zero and one starts at freezing point of water.

Is this how you convert the derivative, though? I know how to convert when it isn't the derivative, but...

... what?
Maybe derivative isn't the word you're looking for?

What exactly is it you are trying to calculate? Since the "sizes" of degrees K and degrees C are the same, temperature increasing by 1 degree Kelvin also increases by 1 degree C. If temperature is increasing by, say 10 degrees Kelvin per hour, it is increasing by 10 degrees Centigrade per hour.

1. How do you convert from degK/s to degC/s?

To convert from degK/s (degrees Kelvin per second) to degC/s (degrees Celsius per second), you can use the formula: degC/s = degK/s - 273.15. This is because the two temperature scales have a difference of 273.15 degrees between their zero points.

2. Why do we need to convert from degK/s to degC/s?

In some scientific calculations, it may be necessary to use the Celsius temperature scale instead of Kelvin. Converting between the two units allows for consistency and accuracy in these calculations.

3. Is the conversion from degK/s to degC/s a simple conversion?

Yes, the conversion from degK/s to degC/s is a simple linear conversion. This means that the relationship between the two units is constant and can be easily calculated using a formula.

4. Can I use the same formula to convert from degC/s to degK/s?

Yes, you can use the same formula to convert from degC/s to degK/s. In this case, the formula would be: degK/s = degC/s + 273.15. This is because the two units are directly proportional to each other.

5. Are there any other units that can be used to measure changes in temperature?

Yes, there are other units that can be used to measure changes in temperature, such as degrees Fahrenheit per second (degF/s). However, the most commonly used units in scientific calculations are degK/s and degC/s.