Converting Healpix file to traditional fits format

In summary, the conversation is about extracting data from a sky survey file in healpix format, with one person asking for help from someone with healpix experience and the other person mentioning a similar problem with converting a FITS file to a Healpix file.
Lyuokdea
Not that this is really an astronomy question per se, but astronomers are most likely to know the answer.

I have a file containing a sky survey that is in healpix format, and I need to extract the data at certain longitudes and latitudes and at certain frequencies...

In a traditional fits format i could just read the corresponding rows and columns in the file, but I'm lost as of what to do with a healpix file.

If anybody with healpix experience could help, i'd appreciate it.

~Lyuokdea

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello,
I'm sorry I do not have the solution to your problem. But I have a similar problem. I wanted to know how to convert a FITS file to a Healpix file

What is a Healpix file?

A Healpix file is a data file format used in astronomy to store and analyze data from all-sky surveys. It is based on the Hierarchical Equal Area isoLatitude Pixelization (HEALPix) scheme, which divides the celestial sphere into equal-area pixels. This allows for the representation of spherical data in a more efficient and accurate manner.

Why would I want to convert a Healpix file to traditional fits format?

Traditional fits format is a widely used file format in astronomy and is supported by many software and data analysis tools. Converting a Healpix file to traditional fits format allows for easier access and analysis of the data using these tools.

How do I convert a Healpix file to traditional fits format?

There are several software packages available for converting Healpix files to traditional fits format, such as HEALPix, Astropy, and HEALPy. These packages provide specific functions or tools for converting the files, and their documentation can guide you through the process.

Are there any limitations to converting a Healpix file to traditional fits format?

Yes, there are some limitations to consider when converting a Healpix file to traditional fits format. For example, the conversion process may result in loss of some information or precision due to the different data structures used in the two formats. Additionally, the converted file may have a larger file size compared to the original.

Can I convert a Healpix file back to its original format?

It is possible to convert a traditional fits file back to a Healpix file, but the process may not be straightforward. Some data may have been lost during the initial conversion, and it may not be possible to recover it. It is always recommended to keep a backup of the original file before converting it to traditional fits format.