1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting m/s^2 to km/h^2 ?

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    An airplane starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate of 3.00 m/s^2 for 30.0s before leaving the ground. What is the airplanes velocity in km/h at the end of this interval?

Vi=0m/s
    Vf=?
    a=3m/s^2
    Δt=30s

Not sure if I did it right or if im also supposed to convert the acceleration to km/h before plugging into equation. If so, how do i convert 3m/s^2 to km/h^2?? Please help

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2
    Just get the final velocity in m/s then convert to km/h. That would be the simplest thing to do.

4. Feb 18, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are given acceleration and time, not acceleration and distance. You need to use a different version of the kinematic equation -- one that relates velocity to acceleration and time...

And to do any units conversion, just multiply by "one". So if I wanted to convert inches to mm, for example, I'd multiply by 1 = (25.4mm/1 inch), cancel the "inch" units on the top and bottom of the fraction, and be left with the distance in mm. :smile:

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check your answer using common sense. At that speed, if you were late for the check-in, you would be able to walk down the runway (not even run) and catch up the plane to get on the flight :smile:

Also, it's not "wrong" to find the distance and then the speed (if you do it right), but why not use the formula Vf = Vi + at?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted