Converting m/s^2 to km/h^2 ?

• Thread starter Henrybar
  • Start date
In summary: It's just one step...In summary, an airplane starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate of 3.00 m/s^2 for 30.0s before leaving the ground. To find the airplane's velocity in km/h at the end of this interval, we use the kinematic equation Vf = Vi + at. Converting the distance from meters to kilometers, we find that the airplane's velocity at the end of this interval is 2.84 km/h.
Henrybar
An airplane starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate of 3.00 m/s^2 for 30.0s before leaving the ground. What is the airplanes velocity in km/h at the end of this interval?

Vi=0m/s
Vf=?
a=3m/s^2
Δt=30s

Not sure if I did it right or if I am also supposed to convert the acceleration to km/h before plugging into equation. If so, how do i convert 3m/s^2 to km/h^2?? Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just get the final velocity in m/s then convert to km/h. That would be the simplest thing to do.

Henrybar said:
An airplane starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate of 3.00 m/s^2 for 30.0s before leaving the ground. What is the airplanes velocity in km/h at the end of this interval?

Vi=0m/s
Vf=?
a=3m/s^2
Δd=1350m
= 1.35km

Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2aΔd
Vf=2.84km/h

Not sure if I did it right or if I am also supposed to convert the acceleration to km/h before plugging into equation. If so, how do i convert 3m/s^2 to km/h^2?? Please help

You are given acceleration and time, not acceleration and distance. You need to use a different version of the kinematic equation -- one that relates velocity to acceleration and time...

And to do any units conversion, just multiply by "one". So if I wanted to convert inches to mm, for example, I'd multiply by 1 = (25.4mm/1 inch), cancel the "inch" units on the top and bottom of the fraction, and be left with the distance in mm. :smile:

Henrybar said:
Vf=2.84km/h

Not sure if I did it right

Check your answer using common sense. At that speed, if you were late for the check-in, you would be able to walk down the runway (not even run) and catch up the plane to get on the flight :smile:

Also, it's not "wrong" to find the distance and then the speed (if you do it right), but why not use the formula Vf = Vi + at?

!

To convert m/s^2 to km/h^2, we can use the conversion factor 1 km = 1000 m and 1 h = 3600 s. This means that 1 km/h^2 = (1000m/3600s)^2 = 0.0771605 m/s^2. Therefore, to convert 3 m/s^2 to km/h^2, we multiply by the conversion factor: 3 m/s^2 * 0.0771605 km/h^2/m/s^2 = 0.2314815 km/h^2.

Now, to find the final velocity of the airplane in km/h, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vi is the initial velocity (0 m/s), a is the acceleration in m/s^2 (3 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds (30 s). Plugging in these values, we get Vf = 0 m/s + 3 m/s^2 * 30 s = 90 m/s.

To convert this final velocity from m/s to km/h, we can multiply by the conversion factor 3.6 km/h/m/s, which gives us Vf = 90 m/s * 3.6 km/h/m/s = 324 km/h. Therefore, at the end of the 30 second interval, the airplane's velocity will be 324 km/h.

1. How do you convert m/s^2 to km/h^2?

To convert m/s^2 to km/h^2, you can use the following formula: km/h^2 = (m/s^2) * 0.0036. This is because 1 km = 1000 m and 1 hour = 3600 seconds, so 1 km/h^2 = (1000/3600)^2 = 0.0036.

2. What is the difference between m/s^2 and km/h^2?

m/s^2 and km/h^2 are both units of acceleration. However, m/s^2 represents acceleration in meters per second squared, while km/h^2 represents acceleration in kilometers per hour squared. The difference is in the units used to measure distance and time.

3. Can you give an example of converting m/s^2 to km/h^2?

Yes, for example, if you have an acceleration of 10 m/s^2, to convert it to km/h^2, you would use the formula km/h^2 = (10 m/s^2) * 0.0036 = 0.036 km/h^2. This means the object is accelerating at a rate of 0.036 km/h^2.

4. Why do we convert acceleration from m/s^2 to km/h^2?

Converting acceleration from m/s^2 to km/h^2 allows us to express acceleration in a larger unit of measurement, which can be useful for comparing or understanding acceleration on a larger scale. It can also make calculations and conversions easier in certain situations.

5. Is it possible to convert km/h^2 to m/s^2?

Yes, it is possible to convert km/h^2 to m/s^2, but it requires the use of a different formula: m/s^2 = (km/h^2) * 277.78. This is because 1 km/h = 0.27778 m/s, so 1 km/h^2 = (0.27778)^2 = 0.07716 m/s^2.