Converting resources into technology

In summary: The internet has a lot of information as well. The trick is finding the right key words, and learning to distinguish what is really important and what isn't.In summary, the basic resources needed to create the following technologies would include metal, plastic, glass, electricity, and a wide range of raw materials such as ore, sand, clay, and chemicals. In order to build these technologies, one would also need the tools and knowledge to manipulate and work with these resources. Obtaining and acquiring these resources may prove difficult, but with the right research and determination, it is possible to recreate old technologies even in a distant future.
e-realmz
Given the know how and tools to do so, what basic resources would be required to create the following technologies:

Radio communication.
Monitor.
Computer chip.
Freezer.
Telephone.
Infrared or Night Vision.
Electricity.

Please answer the ones you can and if I have more, I'll post them here. Thanks people. :cool:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Didn't think anyone would know.

Electricity is not a technology...

The rest... you're talking about hundreds of "basic resources". If you're talking about the actaul infrastructure to build them, then you're talking about thousands probably.

resources? What do you mean?

What I meant by electricity is what would you need to produce it?

As for the rest, I am going to say metal, plastic and glass.

What I mean by resources is what I just said.

So if I had those 3 things plus electricity, I could build anyone of those things.

e-realmz said:
So if I had those 3 things plus electricity, I could build anyone of those things.

You really think a microchip is made out of "metal, plastic, and glass"?

A resource is don't resticted to raw materials to make something...

Pengwuino said:
You really think a microchip is made out of "metal, plastic, and glass"?

Exactly! Now can someone answer my questions please? :confused:

e-realmz said:
Exactly! Now can someone answer my questions please? :confused:

Uhm... to list all the things that go into almost any modern day appliance or technology would probably take an hour simply to list everything and probably months to find all the information needed to compile that list.

When you say somethings made out of "plastic" or "metal", it's like saying that you eat "fruit". Well there's many many different kinds of fruits. I could be eating an orange, a plum, an apple, a cherry, etc etc. The list goes on and on. If you say somethings made out of "metal"... well just look at the periodic table. There's a place to start; copper, aluminum, gold, silver. Then think of alloys, different metals mixed with each other! Then of course, there's metals that are treated with different chemicals that are just tremendous cocktails of other chemicals, etc etc.

Take this remote control i have in my hand...

it has plastic... there's probably a fair number of materials that went into actually making the plastic. Let's see, here's some batteries. Now since batteries don't just grow wild, we would need to break that down. How many substances went into the battery acid? How many substances went into each of those substances that went into the battery acid? Of course there's different types of metals and alloys in there, probably dozens. This spring inside the battery compartment may be the only thing made out of any pure metal. Once i open up this remote control, I'm going to be staring at the combined form of hundreds of different resources. It's really nothing you'll ever be able to find out unless you do it yourself and take the months of research to find out.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Now I know that if we were ever in a distant apocalyptic future, we would not be able to re-create many of the things we used in the past due to pure lack of information alone.. But I won't stop there. I'll just have to make up ways to recreate those things.

Actually, there's quite a lot of information out there. You just have to know how to use it and have the ability and resources/materiels. Consider what you would need to build a simple Voltaic pile, insulators such as glass or ceramics, acid, clean water, metals such as copper or gold. Where and how are you going to get them? If you have to get them totally from scratch then that means you'll have to have a source for ore, sand/clay, chemicals etc and the tools to work them. You'll have to build the tools to build the tools. Reminds me of an old scifi story "Spacehounds of The IPC" I think. Guy crashes his spaceship and has to rebuild from scratch. only took him a year or two. Really have to suspend the disbelief for that one.

If you're really interested in old tech and methods check out the Foxfire books, anything on the history of the Industrial Revolution. Sprague De Camps "Ancient Engineers" is good as well.

1. What is the process of converting resources into technology?

The process of converting resources into technology involves several steps, including identifying the resources needed, researching and developing the technology, testing and refining the technology, and finally implementing it in a practical setting.

2. What types of resources are needed for technology conversion?

The resources needed for technology conversion can vary depending on the specific technology being developed. Generally, resources such as financial capital, raw materials, skilled labor, and advanced machinery are required.

3. How does converting resources into technology benefit society?

Converting resources into technology can benefit society in various ways. It can lead to advancements in various industries, improve efficiency and productivity, create new job opportunities, and enhance the overall quality of life.

4. What challenges are involved in the process of converting resources into technology?

There are several challenges involved in converting resources into technology, such as the high cost of research and development, limited resources, competition, and the need for continuous innovation and adaptation to changing market demands.

5. How can we ensure responsible and ethical conversion of resources into technology?

To ensure responsible and ethical conversion of resources into technology, it is important to consider the potential impacts on the environment and society. This can be achieved through thorough research and adherence to regulations and ethical standards, as well as promoting sustainable practices and responsible use of resources.