Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution of Time Distributions

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    I need some help to make sure my reasoning is correct. Bear with me please.

I have a time distribution for a process and I want to construct a distribution for the time it takes to perform two processes. So I would define

##\tau = t + t##

This would create a new distribution with is a convolution of the process performed twice.

##P(\tau) = P(t)*P(t)##

Now could I do the same for performing the process N times

##\tau = t + t + ... + t = Nt##

##P(\tau) = P(t)*P(t)*...*P(t)##

Could the N convolutions be performed with a change of variables instead

##P(\tau) = P(t)\frac{dt}{d\tau}##

##P(\tau) = P(\frac{\tau}{N})\frac{1}{N}##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2
    Assuming the above is correct could I also combine time distributions for different process that each had N1 or N2 convolutions.

##z = \tau_1+\tau_2=N_1t_1+N_2t_2##

##P(z) = P_1(\tau_1)*P_2(\tau_2)=\frac{1}{N_1}P_1(\frac{z}{N_1})*\frac{1}{N_2}P_2(\frac{z}{N_2})##

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Is that correct. I know that you could form a joint distribution and then project the joint distribution down onto lines of constant sum, but I didn't know that would give the same result as a convolution. If it does, then that is convenient.

Or you could take the Fourier transform and multiply. That would be my approach.

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Dale you that is a great idea!!! I didn't even think about the convolution being a product in the transformed domain. When I get a chance I'm going to do the transforms on a few different distributions and see if the above ideas work out for convolution and change of variables. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook