1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convservation of Mech. Energy/Momentum

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1
    I have a question about the conservation of momentum and energy in collision problems. What type of situations (elastic/inelastic) can you use the equations to solve for either masses or velocities??

Am I correct?::

Elastic collision: You can use both conservation of momentum + mech. energy to solve for the variables because everything is conserved.

Inelastic collision: You can use only conservation of momentum because some energy is wasted as heat or wasted from friction.

Can someone give me a better explaination or correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not only can you use energy conservation for elastic collisions, you must use it to solve the problem. An algebraic manipulation can be done to produce a velocity difference equation that can be used instead of the quadratic energy equations for head on collsiions. If a collision is perfectly inelastic, there is only one final velocity for both objects involved.

Some problems fit between these two categories and give a coefficient of restitution that expresses the final velocity difference as a fraction of the initial velocity difference.

4. Dec 13, 2006 #3
    Yes,you are both right.
    conservation of enegy can only be used in elastic collision.
    And in the inelastic collision the coefficient is
    e=(U1-U2)/(v2-v1)
    U is former velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?