Cool ball and feather drop experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a video that was done in a vacuum chamber and how it may give the impression that acceleration of free fall is reduced. The participants also share their experiences with their computers and discuss the benefits of giving them tasty snacks. They also talk about food and experiments they want to try.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
some may not have seen this video done in a vacuum chamber

enjoy

Likes DennisN and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
Pfft, it was done better elsewhere ;)

Just kidding, cool giant vacuum chamber!

Likes davenn and George Jones
The video is unavailable.

Fervent Freyja said:
The video is unavailable.

Hmm. Both videos are working for me. Did you say something nice to your computer lately? They get cranky if you don't. :wink:

Likes davenn and Borg
Drakkith said:
Hmm. Both videos are working for me. Did you say something nice to your computer lately? They get cranky if you don't. :wink:

both videos still OK here too

Drakkith said:

Oh, sorry, I think it was my browser! Found it elsewhere.

Is that a hint I should write something nice to davenn? Okay, awesome video Dave, very cool.

Fervent Freyja said:
Is that a hint I should write something nice to davenn?

Nope. Just a hint that you should give your computer tasty snacks everyone once in a while!

Drakkith said:
Nope. Just a hint that you should give your computer tasty snacks everyone once in a while!

I have to brag here: steak wrapped in bacon with fried mushrooms and onions with a stuffed baked potato. I think I've been nice enough today! :smile:

Likes Drakkith
Fervent Freyja said:
I have to brag here: steak wrapped in bacon with fried mushrooms and onions with a stuffed baked potato. I think I've been nice enough today! :smile:

That sounds absolutely divine!

Likes Fervent Freyja
Drakkith said:

Uh huh ... a slice of toast with favourite topping inserted into CD/DVD tray works wonders :wink:

Likes Drakkith
I was thinking about trying that experiment by dropping my rent bill alongside some garbage down the garbage chute, but I don't think my landlord would like it.

Likes davenn
The first video is nice but there is a problem with showing it in slow motion only which is that those not familiar with the physics may get the impression that in a vacuum the acceleration of free fall is reduced.

Dadface said:
The first video is nice but there is a problem with showing it in slow motion only which is that those not familiar with the physics may get the impression that in a vacuum the acceleration of free fall is reduced.

No worries. They have PF to correct them. :biggrin:

Likes davenn

1. What is the purpose of the Cool Ball and Feather Drop experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the effects of air resistance and gravity on falling objects. It also serves to illustrate Galileo's theory of falling bodies.

2. What materials are needed for the Cool Ball and Feather Drop experiment?

You will need a vacuum chamber, a large glass tube, a ping pong ball, a feather, and a vacuum pump.

3. How does the Cool Ball and Feather Drop experiment work?

The experiment works by placing the ping pong ball and feather inside the vacuum chamber and removing all of the air using the vacuum pump. Without air resistance, both objects will fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity.

4. What are the expected results of the Cool Ball and Feather Drop experiment?

The expected results are that both the ping pong ball and feather will fall to the bottom of the vacuum chamber at the same time, demonstrating that they are affected by gravity equally.

5. What are the real-world applications of the Cool Ball and Feather Drop experiment?

This experiment serves as a basic demonstration of the principles of air resistance and gravity. It can also be used to explain the motion of objects in a vacuum, such as in space or during free fall. Additionally, this experiment can be used to teach students about the scientific method and the importance of controlled experiments.