1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate angles of three dimensional vectors

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If u know the value of two coordinate angles there is an ulimeted amount of possibility for finding the third coordinate angle
    A. True
    B. False

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I .not too sure about this one any suggestions would be appreciated I think its tfalse hough

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2
    What is the sum of the squares of the three direction cosines equal to?

4. Feb 7, 2014 #3
    they sum to 1

5. Feb 7, 2014 #4
    Two coordinate angles? Angles between vectors? I don't understand the question.

6. Feb 7, 2014 #5
    Does that help answer your question?

7. Feb 7, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This approach works, but it might also help to think of it geometrically. What shape is formed by the set of lines at a given angle to the positive half of an axis?

8. Feb 7, 2014 #7

I'm only confuse of the term unlimited I know there is the method of just subtracting the squared Cosine of the other angles from one to get the third though I'm unsure about the term unlimited since even though I know thats a method I Dont know if its the only method

9. Feb 7, 2014 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question isn't asking about different methods of finding the answer; it's asking if the number of solution values is unlimited. You can use whatever method you like.

10. Feb 8, 2014 #9

Its false right?

11. Feb 8, 2014 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. How many possibilities are there for the third angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted