How do I calculate the angle between three-dimensional vectors?

In summary: The cross product of two vectors A and B is a vector that is perpendicular to both A and B and has a magnitude equal to |A|*|B|*sin(θ) where θ is the angle between A and B. In this case, the angle between the two bonds can be calculated using the dot product since it gives us the angle between the vectors. In summary, the angle between the two bonds in a methane molecule can be calculated using the dot product of the two vectors representing the bonds.
Antebellum

Homework Statement

In organic chemistry, a methane molecule, CH4, is made of 4 hydrogen and one carbon atoms where each hydrogen is attached to a central carbon atom. The hydrogen atoms are located at a corner of a regular tetrahedron and the carbon is at the center. In coordinates where one of the carbon hydrogen bond is in the direction i^ + j^ + k^, an adjacent bond is in the i^ -j^ -k^. Calculate the angle between these two bonds.

Homework Equations

I know how to solve a dot (scalar) product and a cross (vector) product but I don't know if either of those two are relevant here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin. I've never had any physics before and now I find myself in a 300-level college physics class. Until last week I didn't know what a vector was. While I'm good at math, I have never worked with anything three-dimensional before and have no idea what formula to use to find this angle. The answer wouldn't be 180 degrees, would it? That's what I'm visualizing but it seems way too easy...

Physics news on Phys.org
they give you two vectors <1,1,1> and <1,-1,-1>

what is the definition of a dot product and what is the definition of a cross product. they are relevant to solving your problem.

The dot product of two vectors A and B is equal to |A|*|B|*cos(θ) where θ is the angle between A and B.

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle between two three-dimensional vectors?

The formula for calculating the angle between two three-dimensional vectors is:θ = cos^-1((a · b) / (|a| * |b|))where θ is the angle between the two vectors, a and b are the vectors, · represents the dot product, and || represents the magnitude or length of the vector.

2. How do I find the dot product of two three-dimensional vectors?

To find the dot product of two three-dimensional vectors, you need to multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and then add them together. For example, if vector a = [x1, y1, z1] and vector b = [x2, y2, z2], then the dot product of a and b is:a · b = (x1 * x2) + (y1 * y2) + (z1 * z2)

3. Can I use the cross product to calculate the angle between two three-dimensional vectors?

No, the cross product is used to find a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors, not the angle between them. To calculate the angle between two three-dimensional vectors, you need to use the dot product and the formula mentioned in the first question.

4. Are there any online tools or calculators to help me calculate the angle between three-dimensional vectors?

Yes, there are many online tools and calculators available that can help you calculate the angle between three-dimensional vectors. Some examples include Wolfram Alpha, Geogebra, and Symbolab.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the angle between three-dimensional vectors?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles and cannot be used to calculate the angle between three-dimensional vectors. You need to use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the angle between two three-dimensional vectors.