Coordinate conversion calculator

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a website that can convert between RA and dec coordinates to altitude and azimuth coordinates. They have found a few websites, but they are not able to enter their own desired time. They are hoping someone can recommend a site that can do this, as they are not proficient in programming. They list a few websites they have found, including one called http://wise-obs.tau.ac.il/~eran/Wise/Util/Horizontal_Coordinates.html, http://www.astro.utu.fi/EGal/CooC/CooC2.html, and http://www.frostydrew.org/observatory/utilities.htm (scroll to the bottom of the page). They thank someone named
big man
I know this might be a stupid question, but I wan't to know if any of you know of any sites that convert between RA and dec coordinates to altitude and azimuth coordinates. I mean I found this site:

http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_celestial2horizon.html [Broken]

But unfortunately you can't enter in any time you want...it simply gets the time that you are visiting the site.

I was hoping someone might have come across some site that does this. I mean it would just save me having to figure out how to slightly alter the source code.
Javascript, or any programming for that matter, is not a strong point for me so it just takes me much longer than the average person to work out the programming.

If anyone could help out that would be great. I really just want it so that I can have it as a link for my web page project for one of my classes. If I don't have it I guess it's no big problem though.

Anyway thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Neutrino thank you so much.

You've helped me a lot recently :)

Cheers

1. How does a coordinate conversion calculator work?

A coordinate conversion calculator uses mathematical formulas and algorithms to convert one set of coordinates into another set of coordinates. These formulas take into account the different coordinate systems and projections used on maps and GPS systems.

2. What types of coordinate systems can be converted using a coordinate conversion calculator?

A coordinate conversion calculator can convert between different types of coordinate systems, including geographic (latitude and longitude), projected (UTM, State Plane, etc.), and geodetic (XYZ) coordinates. Some calculators may also have the ability to convert between different datums.

3. Is there a standard format for inputting coordinates into a coordinate conversion calculator?

Most coordinate conversion calculators use degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS) or decimal degrees (DD) as the standard format for inputting coordinates. Some calculators may also accept other formats such as degrees and decimal minutes (DMM) or Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates.

4. Can a coordinate conversion calculator account for different map projections?

Yes, most coordinate conversion calculators have the ability to convert between different map projections. They use the appropriate formulas and parameters for each projection to accurately convert the coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations or errors to be aware of when using a coordinate conversion calculator?

While coordinate conversion calculators can be very accurate, they may have limitations or errors. These can be caused by various factors such as the quality of the input coordinates, the accuracy of the formulas used, and the complexity of the conversion. It is always important to double-check the results and use caution when using the calculator for critical applications.