How to calculate the distance between a Star and Zenith

In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding the calculation of the distance between a star and Zenith, given specific values for Sidereal Time, RA*, and DEC*. The person was asking for an explanation on how to solve this problem, as they were unable to find any examples online. It was mentioned that this type of problem can be found in books on celestial navigation.
KaBash
I was reading through some questions online and one asked the reader to calculate the distance between a star and Zenith given Sidereal Time 17hrs, RA*=16hr30mins, DEC*=50degrees. Could someone explain to me how you would do this please? There were no examples and so far I haven't managed to find one online.

Thanks in advance! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Aisling Kelly said:
I was reading through some questions online and one asked the reader to calculate the distance between a star and Zenith given Sidereal Time 17hrs, RA*=16hr30mins, DEC*=50degrees. Could someone explain to me how you would do this please? There were no examples and so far I haven't managed to find one online.

Thanks in advance! :)
I think it is solving a spherical triangle and appears in books on celestial navigation.

Likes KaBash
http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~fv/webnotes/chapter7.htm

Likes KaBash

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between a star and Zenith?

The formula for calculating the distance between a star and Zenith is d = 90° - A, where d is the distance and A is the altitude of the star.

2. How do I measure the altitude of a star?

The altitude of a star can be measured using a tool called a sextant, which uses the angle between the horizon and the star to determine its altitude. Alternatively, you can use a star chart and a protractor to estimate the altitude.

3. Can I use this formula for any star?

Yes, this formula can be used for any star as long as you have the accurate altitude measurement of the star.

4. What units should I use for the altitude measurement?

The altitude measurement should be in degrees. If you are using a sextant, it will display the altitude in degrees. If you are using a star chart and protractor, make sure to use a protractor with degree markings.

5. How accurate is this formula?

This formula can provide an accurate estimation of the distance between a star and Zenith, but it may not be 100% accurate due to factors such as atmospheric refraction. It is always best to use multiple measurements and methods to ensure a more precise result.