Is There a Formula for Calculating Star Altitude and Azimuth Over Time?

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the altitude and azimuth of a star at a later time using its current coordinates without converting them to RA and DEC. The speaker is looking for a formula to do this and another person suggests checking a website for potential solutions.
TheSource007
Hi all.
I have a question.
Is there a way to calculate the altitude and azimuth of a star at a given time using as an input the altitude and azimuth of that star at an earlier time, without having to convert those coordinates to RA and DEC?
The problem is that I want to calculate the position (alt,az) of a nine stars a a later time when I know where the stars are right now. I don' want to calculate the RA and DEC of each star and then calculate back. I hope that there might a formula but I haven't found it yet.
Thank you for your help

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there,

can't help on the formula, but there must be a way to do it as my telescope can do that :)

here's one site into that sort of thing, there maybe something there that can help you ?
http://www.hnsky.org/software.htm

Dave

Last edited:

What is the purpose of tracking a star over time?

Tracking a star over time allows scientists to study the behavior and characteristics of the star, such as its brightness, temperature, and movement. This can provide valuable insights into the life cycle of stars and the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

How is a star tracked over time?

Scientists use telescopes equipped with special instruments, such as spectrographs and photometers, to collect data on a star's properties and movements. This data is then analyzed and compared over time to track any changes or patterns.

What can we learn from tracking a star over time?

By tracking a star over time, scientists can gather information on the star's composition, age, and size. This can also help in identifying any unusual or unique characteristics of the star, as well as its relationship with other stars and objects in the universe.

Why is it important to track multiple stars over time?

Tracking multiple stars over time allows scientists to compare and contrast different stars and their behaviors. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe and the various processes that govern it.

What challenges are faced when tracking a star over time?

One of the main challenges in tracking a star over time is maintaining consistent and accurate data collection. External factors such as weather conditions and equipment malfunctions can also impact the quality of data. Additionally, the vast distances between stars can make it difficult to track them over long periods of time.