Is There a Formula for Calculating Star Altitude and Azimuth Over Time?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheSource007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Star Time Tracking
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TheSource007
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi all.
I have a question.
Is there a way to calculate the altitude and azimuth of a star at a given time using as an input the altitude and azimuth of that star at an earlier time, without having to convert those coordinates to RA and DEC?
The problem is that I want to calculate the position (alt,az) of a nine stars a a later time when I know where the stars are right now. I don' want to calculate the RA and DEC of each star and then calculate back. I hope that there might a formula but I haven't found it yet.
Thank you for your help
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there,

can't help on the formula, but there must be a way to do it as my telescope can do that :)

here's one site into that sort of thing, there maybe something there that can help you ?
http://www.hnsky.org/software.htm

Dave
 
Last edited: