How can I rotate a coordinate system and write functions in the rotated system?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert from one coordinate axes to another, specifically where the new axes are y = x and y = -x. The formula x' = x - y and y' = x + y can be used for this transformation, which essentially involves a rotation by 45 degrees and a multiplication by the square root of 2. This transformation can also be expressed as linear equations, with coefficients of 1 and -1 for x and y.
Gackhammer
Hey

So, I was wondering how to convert from one coordinate axes to another... in particular, where the new axes are y = x and y = -x, as seen by the picture below

axes_zps960a5326.png

I want it so that the Red dot in the new coordinate system will be ([itex]\sqrt2[/itex],[itex]0[/itex]). Is there an easy way to do this? (My lookings on the internet have not come up with anything good yet)

EDIT: Ok, I just found the equations to rotate, but I was wondering how I can write functions in this rotated coordinate system (Im trying to relate this to my recurrences work/fixed point stuff). I am trying to rotate the coordinate system then find the zeros in the rotated coordinate system to find the fixed points of the function

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Find formulas to transform your old parameters (x & y) into your new ones, and then substitute one for the other in equations.

Are you sure a rotation will be enough for you? (A.K.A., what x,y point do you want to be mapped to your new point root(2),0 ?)

Vorde's point is that the distance from (0, 0) to (1, 0) is, of course, 1 while the distance from (0, 0) to your red point is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. You will need an expansion as well as a rotation.

x'= x- y, y'= x+ y will map (1, 0) to (1, 1) and map (0, 1) to (-1, 1).
That is, essentially, a rotation by 45 degree, counter-clockwise and a multiplication by [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

You could have gotten those relations more easily by seeing that they must be linear, of the form x'= ax+ by and y'= cx+dy, since you do not want one part of the plane "stretched" or "squeezed" more than another. Further, you want (1, 0) to be mapped to (1, 1) so 1= a(1)+ b(0) and 1= c(1)+ d(0) giving a= 1, c= 1. You also want (0, 1) mapped to (-1, 1) so -1= a(0)+ b(1) and 1= c(0)+ d(1) giving b= -1, d= 1: x'= x- y, y'= x+ y as I said.

1. What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process that converts coordinates from one system to another. It is commonly used in geometry and physics to describe the position or motion of an object in different reference frames.

2. Why do we need coordinate transformations?

Coordinate transformations are necessary because different coordinate systems have different origins, orientations, and scales. Transforming coordinates allows us to compare and analyze data from different systems, and to describe the same object from different perspectives.

3. What are the most commonly used coordinate systems?

The most commonly used coordinate systems are Cartesian, polar, and spherical coordinates. Cartesian coordinates use three perpendicular axes (x, y, z) to describe a point in 3D space. Polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a fixed point to describe a point in 2D space. Spherical coordinates use a distance, azimuth, and elevation to describe a point in 3D space.

4. How do you perform a coordinate transformation?

To perform a coordinate transformation, you need to know the equations or formulas that relate the coordinates in one system to the coordinates in another system. These equations can vary depending on the specific transformation and the type of coordinates being used. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to any units or conversions needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of coordinate transformations?

Coordinate transformations have many real-world applications, including navigation and mapping, computer graphics and animation, geographic information systems, and satellite imagery. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze the motion of objects in different reference frames.