1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Core Mass-Luminosity Relationship in RGB Stars

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Low-mass stars like the Sun obey the core mass-luminosity relationship as they burn H in a shell and climb the RBG (Red Giant Branch). What is the energy released per unit mass when fusing hydrogen into helium?

2. Relevant equations
    The core mass-luminosity relationship:
    $$
    L=2.3 \times 10^{5}L_{\odot}\left(\frac{M_{c}}{M_{\odot}}\right)^{6}
    $$
    My professor also gave the timescale for a 1##M_{\odot}## star on the RGB as ##5 \times 10^{8}s##. He also gave the mass of the core for a 1##M_{\odot}## star at the tip of the RGB as ##M_{c}=.45M_{\odot}## though I am doubtful this is useful.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since Luminosity is ##\frac{Energy}{Time}## and ##M_{\odot}## is a constant, the equation can be written as
    $$
    \frac{E}{M_{c}^{6}} = \frac{2.3 \times 10^{5}L_{\odot}}{M_{\odot}^{6}}t=
    \frac{2.3 \times 10^{5}(3.839 \times 10^{26}W)(5 \times 10^{8}s)}{(1.9891 \times 10^{30}kg)^{6}}=7.13 \times 10^{-142}J/kg^{6}
    $$
    As you can see, the number I got was extremely small and in terms of ##J/kg^{6}## not ##J/kg## as is desired.

Additionally, using the ##M_{c}=.45M_{\odot}##,
    $$
    E=2.3 \times 10^{5}L_{\odot}\left(\frac{M_{c}}{M_{\odot}}\right)^{6}t=
    2.3 \times 10^{5}(3.839 \times 10^{26}W)(.45)^{6}(5 \times 10^{8}s)
    $$$$
    =3.67 \times 10^{38} J
    $$
    Then divided by the mass of the core yields:
    $$
    \frac{E}{M_{c}} = \frac{E}{.45M_{\odot}} = \frac{3.67 \times 10^{38}}{.45(1.9891 \times 10^{30})} = 1.843 \times 10^{8} J/kg
    $$
    This seems somewhat reasonable, but the next four parts of the question depend on this answer and I'm not sure if I am allowed to use the mass of core for a star at the tip of the RGB for the entirety of the RGB. Thanks in advanced for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just by looking at this question (as a physicist), I think of the proton-proton cycle that starts with 6 protons as in here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton–proton_chain_reaction
    Your number is in on the very low side. For example, the dissociation energy for water is about 500 kJ/mol. To dissociate 1 kg of water (56 mol) you will need 56(mole/kg)*500,000(J/mole) =3×107 J/kg. That's only one order of magnitude below your answer. Surely the Sun can do better than that.

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3
    In deed you were correct. Turns out the problem was a simple E=mc2 problem. About .7% of the mass of hydrogen is released during fusion, so the Energy/mass=.007c2 o0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted