Correct English convention for |Psi|^2?

In summary, the terms "modulus squared", "squared modulus", "modulus square", and "squared modulus" are all used to refer to the quantity |psi|^2 or psi*psi. They are all considered acceptable in native English usage, but "squared modulus" and "modulus squared" are more commonly used. In mathematical terms, "squared norm" or "norm squared" would be the most precise terms.
Aidyan
I Google and find all of the following are used:

Modulus square of the wavefunction
Modulus squared of the wavefunction
Square modulus of the wavefunction
Squared modulus of the wavefunction

Which is correct? Or are these all correct? Or does it depend from... what? I'm confused, need help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a native (American) English speaker, I would consider both of the following to be "acceptable" or "natural" in terms of English usage. I slightly prefer the first one:

Modulus squared of the wavefunction

If I saw one of the other two, I would understand what the writer means, but I would suspect that he/she is not a native English speaker, or perhaps has not studied mathematics enough to be familiar with standard terminology.

Likes Aidyan and jim mcnamara
Aidyan said:
That sounds "correct" for proper English, Modulus squared sounds more correct mathematically. (Ψ2) Square of the modulus would be good English, also.

Well, formulae say more than 1000 words. Just write ##|\psi|^2##, and it's clear what's meant ;-)).

Really correct is ''squared norm'' or ''norm squared'', since ##|\psi|## is the norm of a state vector and not a modulus. On the other hand, ##|\psi(x)|^2## deserves to be called a modulus squared of the complex number ##\psi(x)## (if the wave function is continuous).

Likes vanhees71, bhobba and Khashishi

1. What is the correct way to write "Psi squared" in English?

The correct English convention for "Psi squared" is to write it as |Psi|^2, where the "vertical bars" or "pipes" represent the absolute value of Psi.

2. How is |Psi|^2 pronounced?

The symbol |Psi|^2 is typically pronounced as "Psi squared" or "absolute value of Psi squared." It can also be pronounced as "modulus of Psi squared."

3. Is |Psi|^2 the same as "Psi squared"?

Yes, |Psi|^2 is the mathematical notation for "Psi squared." It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical contexts.

4. Can I write "Psi squared" as Psi^2?

No, it is not technically correct to write "Psi squared" as Psi^2. The correct notation is |Psi|^2, which represents the absolute value of Psi squared.

5. How do I use |Psi|^2 in equations and formulas?

|Psi|^2 is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent the probability density of a particle. It can also be used in other mathematical and scientific equations where the absolute value of a quantity needs to be squared.