1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation

1. Jun 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The potential V(x) in the equation
    [itex]m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle[/itex]
    changes very slowly for the typical wavelength wavefunction. Calculate the lowest corrector for the classical equation of motion.

2. Relevant equations
    The Ehrenfest Theorem
    [itex]m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand the question. I can't find in any book a mention of a corrector for the Ehrenfest equation. And what does it mean with the wavelentgh of the wavefunction?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Funny, your only relevant equation is also a given in this exercise. My (very old ) QM book has ## {d\over dt}<{\bf p}> = -\int \Psi^* (\nabla V)\Psi\, d\tau = -<\nabla V> = <{\bf F}> ##as Ehrenfest's theorem; with the comment: "this is simply Newton's law, but now for expectation values".

Must say my book is easier to understand for me than your rendering of he exercise: ## m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\,## looks like an operator to me, not an expectation value like ## -\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle\,##.

So I am on your side in "not understanding the question". I need some reassurance this really is exactly how the exercise was formulated....

This link, by prof. Fitzpatrick, Texas university Austin, sides with Eugen Merzbacher. It makes me think a <x> fell by the wayside somewhere....

Wavelength of the wave function generally has a ##\hbar## in it somewhere, making the wavelength real small compared to change in V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted