Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Corticospinal Tract

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1
    Can someone explain it to me? I know it goes from the brain to the spinal cord but what does it have to do with the stretch relex??

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

Mk

4. Dec 30, 2005 #3
    yes but I dont know what it has to do with the stretch reflex

5. Dec 30, 2005 #4

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi,

The stretch reflex is the quickest neural loop in our body. If you strectch a muscle quickly this one contracts. It involves a sensitive neuron, an inter-neuron in spinal cord and a motor neuron.

But, this reflex is actually somehow contradicted since we feel the stretch and thus higher centres are certainly involved.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #5
    Corticospinal projections have an indirect role in stretch reflex. This is particularly evident in people with strokes affecting this tract. In them, the stretch reflexes are exaggerated. This is because the corticospinal projections provide an inhibitory drive to the stretch reflex preventing it from overcompensating for stretch and helps in smoothing the muscle contractions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?