1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cos(arcsin(-1/3)) how to do it by hand?

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    cos(arcsin(-1/3)) how to do it by hand??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve without a calculator

3. The attempt at a solution
    now i have fount the solution to be (-2/3)(2^(1/2)) now not only did my calculator come up with that but between the SSS formula and pythagorean formula( i think is what we cal it, a^2+b^2....) i was able to get the same answer but the question says not to use a calculator and using those formulas of course im going to have to use a calculator to figure out some of the roots and what not.

I havent had to do this stuff for quite sometime now im a ways past precalc but i was trying to help a friend and im not sure how to do this without a calculator or a root table and any other aids other than my mind. So being that this is precalc i would assume there is a easy way do do this beyond what im trying if the teacher expects it to be done without a calc so if you know how please enlighten me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2007 #2
    It's actually very simple once you know how to do it. Forget about cosine for a moment. Some angle (x) equals the arcsine of -1/3 -- so x=arcsin(-1/3). So you know that the sin(x)=-1/3. Now you can make a right triangle in the IV quadrant and solve for the cosine value, since you are simply solving for the cos(arcsin(-1/3)) or cos(x).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  4. Apr 5, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

You can also try to work out the general formula for cos(arcsin(x)). Here we go.
    Let [tex]\alpha = \arcsin(x) \Rightarrow \sin \alpha = x[/tex]
    cos(arcsin(x)) will become: [tex]\cos \alpha[/tex]

Also, you should note that arcsin(x) will return the values in the interval [tex]\left[ - \frac{\pi}{2} ; \ \frac{\pi}{2}\right][/tex], i.e [tex]\alpha[/tex] is in I, and IV quadrant, and its cosine value should be positive. So we have:
    [tex]\cos \alpha = \sqrt{1 - \sin ^ 2 \alpha} = \sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}[/tex]

Applying the formula to your question yielding:
    [tex]\cos \left( \arcsin \left( - \frac{1}{3} \right) \right)) = \sqrt{1 - \left( -\frac{1}{3} \right) ^ 2} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{9}} = \frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]. :)

You can do the same and find the general formula to:
    Can you get it? :)
  5. Apr 5, 2007 #4
    thanks for both of you for the replies. I especially apreciate yours VietDao29, that way seems to be the best route in finding the aswer via no calculator because of its simplicity, i know with the triangle method although easy not so much without the calculator.
  6. Apr 6, 2007 #5
    Yeah I think his method is better too. :biggrin:
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?