What subjects should I choose for a career in cosmology or astrophysics?

• Thread starter danzi
  • Start date
In summary, in order to become a cosmologist or astrophysicist, you will need to go to university and study a combination of mathematical, scientific, and potentially language courses. Cosmology focuses on the universe as a whole and its evolution, while astrophysics is more concerned with the physical processes of stars and planets. Joining an astronomy club or reading books can also help you gain a better understanding of these fields.
danzi
Hello. I am looking to be some kind of cosmologist or astrophysisist when I am older. My GCSE choices have to be handed in next week, ad i wasnt to make sure I am not going to choose the wrong things.
SO please if anyone knows, what would i need to take to become cosmologist or astrophysisist?
By the way I am defenatly taking tripple science.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to be a cosmologist or a astrologist? in other words, do you want to study the whole universe or the stars and planets within it?

For both you have to go to university

kurt.physics said:
Do you want to be a cosmologist or a astrologist? in other words, do you want to study the whole universe or the stars and planets within it?

For both you have to go to university

the whole topic facinates me, the by far is the job i want to do. i was planning to go to universtiy.

SO do you know what subjects for GCSE would be helpfull, i say usfull, becaus employers look for a-levels and degrees rather than gcse's.

danzi said:
SO do you know what subjects for GCSE would be helpfull, i say usfull, becaus employers look for a-levels and degrees rather than gcse's.

try to take as much mathematical and scientific subjects as possible (mathematics, physics, chemistry).
Latin is, arguably, also good for fostering logical thinking.

But in general, you can't do much wrong if you take mathematical and scientic subjects. But you should also include languages (if you like learning some) or other subjects to balance your studies.

beta3 said:
try to take as much mathematical and scientific subjects as possible (mathematics, physics, chemistry).
Latin is, arguably, also good for fostering logical thinking.

But in general, you can't do much wrong if you take mathematical and scientic subjects. But you should also include languages (if you like learning some) or other subjects to balance your studies.

ohh ok, well I'm doing Maths, because I am in top set I am also doing maths statistics. Then I am also choosing to do biology, physics, and chemistry.
Other than that, I am doing history and religiouse education.

(im also doing the rest of the compulsary things thow!)

Does this seem ok?

also I've got one more question... what is the exact difference between a cosmologists and a astrophysisists job?

Last edited:
danzi said:
ohh ok, well I'm doing Maths, because I am in top set I am also doing maths statistics. Then I am also choosing to do biology, physics, and chemistry.
Other than that, I am doing history and religiouse education.

(im also doing the rest of the compulsary things thow!)

Does this seem ok?

also I've got one more question... what is the exact difference between a cosmologists and a astrophysisists job?

yeah, its ok, but its just the GCSE, you need to pay more attention when selection your A-Levels

Cosmology is more about the universe in general, i.e. solutions of Einstein's Field Equation (General Relativity), different phases of the universe (Big Bang to now), etc.

Astro-physics is more about stars and planets (what they are made of, how they are made, how fusion works, etc.)

but relax, you have more than enough time left (and you do need a high amount of sophisticated mathematics to study those fields, normally gained at university). In the mean time, you can join an Astronomy club, visit observatories or just read books.

beta3 said:
yeah, its ok, but its just the GCSE, you need to pay more attention when selection your A-Levels

Cosmology is more about the universe in general, i.e. solutions of Einstein's Field Equation (General Relativity), different phases of the universe (Big Bang to now), etc.

Astro-physics is more about stars and planets (what they are made of, how they are made, how fusion works, etc.)

but relax, you have more than enough time left (and you do need a high amount of sophisticated mathematics to study those fields, normally gained at university). In the mean time, you can join an Astronomy club, visit observatories or just read books.

Thankyou beta3
For cosmology and astrophysics, they're bot very similar, yet both very different...its so similar in one way its hard to think what is best. Is Cosmology a broader range of topics? I'm sat here thinking which is better for me, until i go on to higher education, i can't really tell what i want to do, or rather what is more interesting.
if there's an astronomy club near by or at school, then i will join. unfortunatly there are no observatory near where i live, but I am reading the beginers guide to the cosmos, it may be an adult book, but its interesting.
Mabey i should invest in a good telescope!

this is another pretty stupid question... what is the diffefence between astro-physics and astromomey. I only ask because i typed astrophysics in on google, and it mainly came up with things about astronomy. or are they the same?+

danzi said:
Thankyou beta3
Is Cosmology a broader range of topics? ... what is the diffefence between astro-physics and astromomey.

Here's my take on it.

Cosmology is the study of the universe and its evolution.

Astronomy is the study of the "things in" the universe.

Astrophysics is the study of the physical processes that take place between the "things in" the universe.

Nowadays, I would say that the term astronomy really means obtaining data about the things in the universe, and astrophysics is more theoretical and based around modelling stellar structures or star/planet systems, etc..

1. What is the difference between a cosmologist and an astrophysicist?

A cosmologist studies the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe, while an astrophysicist focuses on the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects such as stars, galaxies, and planets.

2. What kind of education is required to become a cosmologist or astrophysicist?

Both cosmologists and astrophysicists typically hold a Ph.D. in physics, astronomy, or a related field. They also often have a strong background in mathematics and computer science.

3. What kind of research do cosmologists and astrophysicists conduct?

Cosmologists conduct research on the large-scale structure and composition of the universe, including topics such as dark matter, dark energy, and the Big Bang theory. Astrophysicists study the physical properties and processes of celestial objects, including their formation, evolution, and interactions.

4. What are some common career paths for cosmologists and astrophysicists?

Cosmologists and astrophysicists can work in a variety of settings, including universities, research institutions, and government agencies. They may also work in private industry, such as for aerospace or technology companies. Some common job titles include professor, researcher, data analyst, and consultant.

5. How does the work of cosmologists and astrophysicists impact society?

The work of cosmologists and astrophysicists helps us better understand our place in the universe and the origins of the world we live in. Their research also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and space exploration. Additionally, their work inspires awe and curiosity about the mysteries of the universe, making a significant impact on our culture and society.