Cost Effective, large scale potted plant rescue brainstorming

In summary: I love the simplicity of that idea. Something about it concerns me, though. Even with the stalks firmly supported, the leaves and fruits (or whatever peppers are) would still be vulnerable to wind shear.Along the lines of dipole's mosquito netting, maybe perforated tarp?In summary, a grower of super hot peppers in Florida has almost 10,000 plants of twenty eight varieties in pots, 3 - 10 gallon pots, forced drip irrigated. Many plants are near fully grown, they are staked in their pots to hold them up as needed, and all are under a sideless canopy with 50% sun block material on top. Last week, during high winds, 30+ mph about
rhody
Gold Member
I will get right to the point, a grower of super hot peppers in Florida has almost 10,000 plants of twenty eight varieties in pots, 3 - 10 gallon pots, forced drip irrigated.

Many plants are near fully grown, they are staked in their pots to hold them up as needed, and all are under a sideless canopy with 50% sun block material on top.

Last week, during high winds, 30+ mph about 850 of them, were knocked over with some degree of damage. Other then planting them in the ground what cost effective solutions could be used to protect them, any idea is not too far fetched. There is plenty of brain power here, and not to tap it would be a waste.

My first inclination is for some kind of teepee like structure over the plants with some kind of mesh to soften wind effects, but that could be time consuming and pricey. Keep in mind cost versus benefit when thinking about the problem. He is considering putting them in the ground, but then he has to deal with the nematoad problem which is the reason he went with pots in the first place. At the time the pots were the lesser of all evils which is now under scrutiny.

The amount of loss from broken branches and subsequent risk of virus infections through open plant wounds is significant. There is short term damage, loss of branches and pods to deal with. Second, possible long term catastrophic plant damage to deal with from viral infections.

Thanks folks...

Rhody...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about just a simple baffle system around the whole thing? A bunch of 2 x 4's buried deeply enough to ensure stability could be used to hold plywood or such-like panels in a maze pattern (like a bunch of picket signs in staggered formation).

How big of an area is under cover?

Danger said:
How about just a simple baffle system around the whole thing? A bunch of 2 x 4's buried deeply enough to ensure stability could be used to hold plywood or such-like panels in a maze pattern (like a bunch of picket signs in staggered formation).

Yeah, a snow fence like structure popped into my head too, thanks Danger...

Pkruse said:
How big of an area is under cover?

His semi-covered areas are pretty big, Here is a video. Having 10% of your stock damaged is significant, after all the hard work that it took to get the plants this far. Thanks. Maybe the video will help.

Rhody...

How about mosquito netting?

It's light and easily installed, but the mesh is fine enough that it reduced air flow substantially. All he'd have to do is attach it around the top of the structure and then stake it into the ground.

I assume that there is a stake in the pots to hold up the plants. Why not drill a hole in the pots and hammer these stakes through that hole in the soil for a foot or so.

Andre said:
I assume that there is a stake in the pots to hold up the plants. Why not drill a hole in the pots and hammer these stakes through that hole in the soil for a foot or so.
Andre, I love the simplicity of that idea. Something about it concerns me, though. Even with the stalks firmly supported, the leaves and fruits (or whatever peppers are) would still be vulnerable to wind shear.

Along the lines of dipole's mosquito netting, maybe perforated tarp?

1. What is the goal of "Cost Effective, large scale potted plant rescue brainstorming?"

The goal of this brainstorming is to come up with cost-effective and efficient ways to rescue and save a large number of potted plants. This could include finding ways to repurpose or reuse the plants, minimizing waste, and reducing costs associated with the rescue process.

2. Why is it important to consider cost-effectiveness in a large scale potted plant rescue?

In order to successfully rescue a large number of potted plants, it is crucial to consider cost-effectiveness. This ensures that the rescue process is sustainable and can be carried out on a large scale. It also helps to minimize the financial burden on those involved in the rescue efforts.

3. What factors should be considered when brainstorming for cost-effective solutions in a large scale potted plant rescue?

Some factors that should be considered include the cost of materials, labor, transportation, and storage. It is also important to consider the current condition of the plants and any potential risks or challenges that may arise during the rescue process.

4. How can collaboration and teamwork be encouraged during the brainstorming process?

Collaboration and teamwork are essential for a successful brainstorming session. To encourage this, it is important to create a safe and open environment where all ideas are welcomed and respected. Assigning roles and tasks can also help to promote teamwork and ensure that everyone is actively participating.

5. What are some potential challenges that may arise during a large scale potted plant rescue, and how can they be addressed?

Some potential challenges that may arise include limited resources, time constraints, and unexpected obstacles. These can be addressed by conducting thorough research, seeking input from experts, and having contingency plans in place. It is also important to remain flexible and adaptable in order to overcome any challenges that may arise.