Could a thing contain more than its volume can w/o overflowing?

• Thread starter pie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the water in the tank will continue to exist and will be able to be accessed by the mechanisms described.
pie
Hey, I am new in this forum and looking forward to learn physics which I hate :)

My first question concerns possibility, in theory. Say, there is a water tank. Let us say that we made a nanometer hole. The tank is full. Then, we put even more water through that hole. But the hole has something that closes very, very fast. So,

1. Could the water still be in the tank?

2. And if yes, what is going to happen then?

Physics news on Phys.org
pie said:
Hey, I am new in this forum and looking forward to learn physics which I hate :)

My first question concerns possibility, in theory. Say, there is a water tank. Let us say that we made a nanometer hole. The tank is full. Then, we put even more water through that hole. But the hole has something that closes very, very fast. So,

1. Could the water still be in the tank?

2. And if yes, what is going to happen then?
Water is essentially incompressible, so if the tank is full, how do you propose putting more water in, regardless of the size of the hole?

If the tank is sealed then you won't be able to put more water into the tank than it already had. If it's not sealed then it will begin to overflow.

Either the tank starts to bulge out or it bursts. Or, if the tank is immensely strong, you can compress the water under extreme pressures.

Likes bhillyard
Khashishi said:
Either the tank starts to bulge out or it bursts. Or, if the tank is immensely strong, you can compress the water under extreme pressures.
I guess you could imagine a compression wave entering the hole, which could be closed before it has a chance to bounce back after reflection inside the tank. This would assume an infinitely strong container but real water - which is slightly compressible.
I must say, I don't like these 'immovable object and irresistible force' questions. They usually emerge from real world problems, where nothing is ideal. So it would be more fruitful to grasp the nettle and address the real world problem at the start. We often get posts about electrical circuits with short circuits and perfect batteries. The thread goes round and round in circles and gets nowhere.
Choosing where and when you can validly assume infinities and zeros in Physics requires a lot of care. (Or bitter experience)

I do this nearly everyday. We have a 16" naval gun shell standing on its nose. Where the fuse used to be we have inputs for a high pressure pump. I fill the "bom" with water and oceanographic research instrumentation. Then via the high pressure pump I proceed to shove more water into the already full test vessel. If I force in about an extra liter of water we get internal pressures of about 8800psi. or 6000m of water depth.
Since water is nearly incompressible, how can we push more water into the test vessel? It is composed of high strength steel (2" thick at the thin spots) which is being expanded by the high pressure water.

Likes billy_joule and Greg Bernhardt
It's interesting to consider the stored energy when you pressurise a vessel. When they pressure test gas storage cylinders, it's common to use water, pumped at a few hundred atmospheres, rather than air because there is very little energy involved in pressurising the water (pressure times volume change), compared with when you pump it full of air ( several m3 of air, to start with). If the cylinder fails the 'wet test' it will just split and vent the pressure easily, with very little 'work done'. If it fails when full of air, it's a serious bomb.

Likes DrClaude

1. Can a solid object contain more than its volume without overflowing?

According to the laws of physics, it is not possible for a solid object to contain more than its volume without overflowing. The volume of an object is a measure of the amount of space it occupies, and it cannot hold more than its physical capacity.

2. Is it possible for a liquid to contain more than its volume without overflowing?

No, it is not possible for a liquid to contain more than its volume without overflowing. Liquids take the shape of their container and will overflow if they exceed their volume limit. This is due to the intermolecular forces that hold the liquid particles together.

3. Can a gas hold more than its volume without overflowing?

No, a gas cannot hold more than its volume without overflowing. Gases are highly compressible and will expand to fill the available space. If the volume of a gas is exceeded, it will either escape or exert pressure on its container.

4. What would happen if a container holds more than its volume?

If a container holds more than its volume, it will overflow. This is because the container has a finite amount of space and cannot hold an infinite amount of matter. The excess matter will either escape or put pressure on the walls of the container.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that an object cannot contain more than its volume without overflowing?

There are no known exceptions to this rule. The laws of physics dictate that an object, whether it is a solid, liquid, or gas, cannot exceed its volume without overflowing. However, in the realm of theoretical physics, some theories propose the existence of higher dimensions where this rule may not apply.