Can lasers really cause explosions? Let's use a silly hypothetical to find out!

In summary: Another issue is the creation of a plasma which will decrease the coupling to the underlying material.The fundamental question is how transparent is the target, i.e., how deep will laser energy be deposited. The deeper it is, the better a chance for a bigger explosion.
Ravioliman
The context behind my question is quite silly, but I've encountered some people who believe lasers cannot produce explosions, even at insane levels of energy. Now, I'm not big on physics nor will I pretend I am, I think they could but I came here to get a more knowledgable opinion(using a silly hypothetical)so maybe I could learn how to explain it better, assuming I'm not wrong.

Silly hypothetical:
Let's say we have a hypothetical laser capable of delivering the equivalent of 1 petatons of TNT within a single, short pulse and we shoot it at a George Washington's nose on Mt. Rushmore(I chose him for no particular reason) - what would be the reaction? Would it simply eat through and create a hole, leaving the body mostly intact or would it heat it up incredibly fast and create a massive explosion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you define what you mean by explosion; chemical reaction? shockwave? rapid energy dispersion?
When an asteroid hits the earth is that an explosion? When a laser starts to drill a hole in a metal sheet do the first molecules removed "explode"?

Anyway, I suspect the answer is yes, but I'm not sure what the real question is.

For laser based material processing, this question can be quite complex and the actual material removal process depends on a lot of parameters, primarily power/energy, pulse width, repetition rate, wavelength as well as the target material composition. Sometimes it's heat based, like melting, other times it's directly breaking molecular bonds.

Likes Vanadium 50
Generically, I would say that they can create surface explosions with a area roughly the size of the beam. Once you get away from that point, things are governed by thermal conduction which will not in general cause an explosion. Another issue is the creation of a plasma which will decrease the coupling to the underlying material. The fundamental question is how transparent is the target, i.e., how deep will laser energy be deposited. The deeper it is, the better a chance for a bigger explosion.
I have no experience with unrealistic energy lasers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd
Ravioliman said:
but I've encountered some people who believe lasers cannot produce explosions, even at insane levels of energy

I would also tend to side with "those people"
Ravioliman said:
what would be the reaction? Would it simply eat through and create a hole, leaving the body mostly intact or would it heat it up incredibly fast and create a massive explosion?

As DaveE said, you need to define your meaning of explosion. Your choice of target for your example is important as it will fracture and shatter explosively and rapidly with the application of energy (heat). This is not a chemical explosion in the way you may be thinking that is occurring.
You can get the same effect with rock by applying energy (heat) by other methods ... oven, gas cutting torch etc.

Pick a different material, a panel of steel, aluminium, ceramic, glass etc and your results will be completely different in the way the laser interacts with that material.

Now if the laser beam hits a material that in of itself has explosive qualities ... tank of petrol, gas etc, then there will probably be
the type of explosion, that I think, you are imagining.

Maybe you are being swayed too much by what you see in scifi TV and movies ? regards
Dave

DaveE said:
Could you define what you mean by explosion; chemical reaction? shockwave? rapid energy dispersion?
When an asteroid hits the earth is that an explosion? When a laser starts to drill a hole in a metal sheet do the first molecules removed "explode"?

Anyway, I suspect the answer is yes, but I'm not sure what the real question is.

For laser based material processing, this question can be quite complex and the actual material removal process depends on a lot of parameters, primarily power/energy, pulse width, repetition rate, wavelength as well as the target material composition. Sometimes it's heat based, like melting, other times it's directly breaking molecular bonds.
Shockwave. A focal point of the discussion on one end is that if it can cause a large scale explosive reaction followed by a shockwave without the target being a form of fuel or other highly-combustible material - then it isn't really a laser, because photons alone can't incite such a reaction.
I'm talking about the overall possibility of inducing a large scale explosion as the average person knows it - a violent burst of heat followed by a shockwave by heating up objects like boulders, trees, concrete and such with a single, relatively short pulse. I assume it'd take different conditions to achieve the same result with each of the objects stated.
Of course, I'm talking about a hypothetical laser containing incredible levels of energy without having to worry about a medium capable of powering and/or enduring them.
Frabjous said:
Generically, I would say that they can create surface explosions with a area roughly the size of the beam. Once you get away from that point, things are governed by thermal conduction which will not in general cause an explosion. Another issue is the creation of a plasma which will decrease the coupling to the underlying material. The fundamental question is how transparent is the target, i.e., how deep will laser energy be deposited. The deeper it is, the better a chance for a bigger explosion.
I have no experience with unrealistic energy lasers.
davenn said:
I would also tend to side with "those people"

As DaveE said, you need to define your meaning of explosion. Your choice of target for your example is important as it will fracture and shatter explosively and rapidly with the application of energy (heat). This is not a chemical explosion in the way you may be thinking that is occurring.
You can get the same effect with rock by applying energy (heat) by other methods ... oven, gas cutting torch etc.

Pick a different material, a panel of steel, aluminium, ceramic, glass etc and your results will be completely different in the way the laser interacts with that material.

Now if the laser beam hits a material that in of itself has explosive qualities ... tank of petrol, gas etc, then there will probably be
the type of explosion, that I think, you are imagining.

Maybe you are being swayed too much by what you see in scifi TV and movies ?regards
Dave
I'm referring to a generic explosion as most people know it - a burst of extreme heat followed by a shockwave by heating up materials as those I mentioned above: boulders, concrete, trees-- nothing in particular. And as I mentioned - assuming the laser contains incredible amount of energy. Not something that is feasible for us, at least not anytime soon, I assume.

As for fictional influence - I've always taken fiction with a grain of salt when it comes to real life physics, but at the end it was a discussion regarding fictional shenanigans(I could elaborate if you think this might help understand me better)that made me think a bit harder and actually explore these concepts. It helped pique my interest and so I'm here, after also having visited Quora with a similar question. Of course, I do plan on diving deeper than just asking questions online.

I'm aware the subject at hand is fairly complex and my question was probably a bit too general. My apologies. Also, I figure I should have probably phrased it better, because "I've encountered some people who think..." does sound insulting in a hindsight. I'm aware this is a complex topic and I figure I was a bit too confident in my approach.

Last edited:
Keeping things simple, the question is how much material is vaporized and if it is done quickly enough. For normal lasers, the penetration depth is small, so only a small region near the surface under the beam has the potential for an explosion. Once you destroy the this layer, the debris begins to interfere with the coupling so the laser become less efficient. Your are postulating a strongly overdriven system, and I am unsure where the limits go in this case.
As a side note, a laser that strong is going to do bad things to the air.

Ravioliman said:
Shockwave.
OK, that's a reasonable distinction: detonation vs. deflagration.

You absolutely can have a shockwave.

Ravioliman said:
Shockwave.
OK, then yes. I've seen (OK, heard) it. A real high power ultrafast laser, when focused, has enough power density to break down air molecules and create a "snap" sound, which of course is the resulting shock wave hitting your eardrum. Granted it's smaller than you had in mind, but it's real.

It's actually a fairly common issue in high power pulsed lasers. Note that it has more to do with spatial and temporal concentration of the laser energy than just "petatons of TNT" energy levels. You can easily* do it with 1 watt if you can make a good laser.

*edit: OK, maybe it's not THAT easy to make, but you can buy those lasers off the shelf.

Last edited:
Frabjous said:
Keeping things simple, the question is how much material is vaporized and if it is done quickly enough. For normal lasers, the penetration depth is small, so only a small region near the surface under the beam has the potential for an explosion. Once you destroy the this layer, the debris begins to interfere with the coupling so the laser become less efficient. Your are postulating a strongly overdriven system, and I am unsure where the limits go in this case.
As a side note, a laser that strong is going to do bad things to the air.

Vanadium 50 said:
OK, that's a reasonable distinction: detonation vs. deflagration.

You absolutely can have a shockwave.

DaveE said:
OK, then yes. I've seen (OK, heard) it. A real high power ultrafast laser, when focused, has enough power density to break down air molecules and create a "snap" sound, which of course is the resulting shock wave hitting your eardrum. Granted it's smaller than you had in mind, but it's real.

It's actually a fairly common issue in high power pulsed lasers. Note that it has more to do with spatial and temporal concentration of the laser energy than just "petatons of TNT" energy levels. You can easily* do it with 1 watt if you can make a good laser.

*edit: OK, maybe it's not THAT easy to make, but you can buy those lasers off the shelf.
What I'm trying to figure out now is if it could theoretically induce the type of explosion I'm talking about, but on a larger scale within a single short pulse given it contains enough energy close to the level of anywhere between a Tomahawk cruise missile(2 GJ) to a MOAB(46 GJ)by simply coming into contact with any solid surface? Could it genuinely blow up boulders, buildings and such?

The goalposts are moving.
Your new requirement is multiple GJ delivered in one pulse. When you did a Google search did you find any lasers that do this? If there aren't any, don't you have your answer?

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
The goalposts are moving.
Your new requirement is multiple GJ delivered in one pulse. When you did a Google search did you find any lasers that do this? If there aren't any, don't you have your answer?
I'm referring to a hypothetical scenario, assuming you could achieve such level of energy with a laser without having to worry about the medium delivering it. I've already stated this. I know that there are no lasers capable of it in real life.

Also, probably should've said this in my previous comment - thank you folks for your answers!

Yes, your mountain would look like it exploded.

So you are putting a lot of energy into a small space in a short time. And yes, that can lead to an explosion. Must it? That's a function of how much, how small and how short.

1. Can lasers actually cause explosions?

Yes, lasers can potentially cause explosions under certain circumstances. However, it is important to note that not all lasers have the same level of power and intensity, and not all materials are susceptible to laser-induced explosions.

2. How do lasers cause explosions?

Lasers can cause explosions by delivering a concentrated beam of energy onto a specific target, causing the molecules in the target to rapidly heat up and expand. This sudden expansion can result in a violent release of energy, creating an explosion.

3. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using lasers that can cause explosions?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when using lasers that have the potential to cause explosions. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, such as goggles, and following proper laser handling and usage protocols.

4. Can any type of laser cause an explosion?

No, not all lasers have the ability to cause explosions. The power and intensity of the laser, as well as the material it is being directed at, are important factors in determining whether an explosion can occur.

5. Are there any real-world applications for lasers causing explosions?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for lasers causing explosions. For example, lasers can be used in military operations for precision targeting and demolition, as well as in industrial settings for cutting and drilling materials. However, strict safety measures must be followed in these situations.

Back