Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could ever Pluto slam into Neptune?

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Pluto's orbit intersects with Neptune's, so that may happen one day?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

According to a NASA site -

Perhaps that would change with the right perturbation to Pluto's orbit. But then what would that be?
  4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    If I remember correctly it has to do with that even though Pluto passes within Neptune's orbit, due to Pluto's inclination it doesn't come anywhere near Neptune's actual orbital path.

*edit* But as Astronuc stated, a sufficient perturbation could change everything.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. Jun 22, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The perturbation could just be the natural precession of the nodes. As an analogy, the nodes of Earth's moon rotate a full cycle every 18 years. Here's an animation:
    All the planets have precessing nodes, even Earth which virtually has no nodes since its inclination is defined to be 0. The planets' nodes precess much slower than the nodes of Earth's moon (millions of years for a cycle is my guess). If Neptune's nodes and Pluto's nodes precess at different rates, then Pluto's nodes with respect to Neptune's orbital plane could one day cross Neptune's orbital plane at Neptune's orbital distance. Then Pluto's 17 degree difference with Neptune would no longer be an advantage.

But Neptune's 3:2 orbital resonance with Pluto will still protect Pluto from ever colliding. And it has a correction mechanism that keeps the resonance intact even in the presence of perturbations, ensuring that Pluto is never close to Neptune when it crosses Neptunes orbital plane. Here's is a page I made with an explanation and an animation:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?