Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could heat in motors be minimized when driven with quasiparticles?

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    I am wondering if high strength electric discharges can in effect produce magnetic fields that can alter the magnetic ordering of particles in copper, which is otherwise a diamagnetic material. All atoms do possess subatomic particles with magnetic moments, do they not? Could these not be aligned using quasiparticles? This would alter their energy and magnetic entropy states. Could the magnetic ordering be changed such that lower energy state is attained (i.e. a new "local" minimum)? I am not sure if there is an appropriate name for this, but I am think that some kind of quasiparticle is involved. Normally quasiparticles are discussed in fixed lattice structures, but I wonder if they may exist in a system possessing some temporary magnetic ordering. After a little bit of searching, I figured that a polariton might do the trick. As far as changing back to the original magnetic ordering, I think that may occur through spin waves. Polaritonics is intermediate between electronics and photonics. Could industrial-sized "polaritonic" motors be engineered into reality? Wouldn't they operate much cooler than today's "electric" motors?

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Personally, I have no idea what you are talking about - most of what you said sounds like gibberish to me. However, if you think you can build a more efficient electric motor, please go for it. Electric motors are a major user of electricity, so if you can gain a few points of efficiency you can probably become a rich man. Bear in mind that modern industrial motors are typically already between 90% and 95% efficient so you have a tough act to follow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook