Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could hidden dimensions help hidden variable theories ?

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    Could hidden dimensions help "hidden variable theories"?

Could extra unobserved dimensions be of use in finding a hidden variable type theory that also satisfied Quantum Theory?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Could hidden dimensions help "hidden variable theories"?

Not unless those dimensions are somehow "global". According to Bell's Theorem:

No physical theory of local hidden variables can reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

quantum entanglement seems to, in some ways, operate "outside" (or unaffected by) time-space.

5. Jun 27, 2011 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Actually, QM is local in the multi-dimensional configuration space:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=285019

6. Jun 27, 2011 #5

The argument that would force a hidden variable theory to be non-local if they existed does not, to the best of knowledge, change in any way if you allow for extra curled up spatial dimensions.

7. Jun 27, 2011 #6

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a very complex point. I would have to presume there is some kind of mapping from one to the other. Or perhaps a projection (from configuration space to our observable spacetime)? Anyway, I wouldn't have a clue as to where to begin on any of this side of things.

Although to be fair, I think non-local is usually taken to be in observable spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook