Could hydrogen rigid air-ships return?

• Thread starter Czcibor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary: Trying to fly a 100kt aircraft in a controlled manner in a 80kt wind is a much bigger issue - especially when you need to land!
Czcibor
Yes, I know the fate Hindenburg.

However, as far as I can find:
While gas cells for earlier German zeppelins were made of goldbeater’s skin (the outer membrane of cattle intestines) the cells aboard Hindenburg used a new material, similar to that used by the Americans, which was made by brushing layers of gelatine onto a sheet of cotton; this gelatine film was sandwiched between two layers of cotton to create the fabric for the cells.

So it seems that contemporary materials are a bit more advanced.

So could such ships return for for example for transporting heavy weights in places where road transport is inconvenient (like: far north; dragging wind turbines)?

Could hydrogen be contained well enough with contemporary technology? (with maybe an isolating layer of inert gas) Or would it be just interestingly looking but explosive, impractical or expensive in comparison to normal planes?

(I ask only for technical challenges and not regulatory challenges.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cube shaped gas cells of conducting rubber with a flame retarding coating?Can an airship be connected to an electrical ground?

Czcibor said:
So could such ships return for for example for transporting heavy weights in places where road transport is inconvenient (like: far north; dragging wind turbines)?

These guys tried, and failed. (I know somebody who left a good aerospace job to go to work for them. Bad career move!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CargoLifter
That was using helium not hydrogen, though.

Sorry, but in the real world you can't make any money unless you can satisfy both of the above.

Czcibor said:
Yes, I know the fate Hindenburg.

However, as far as I can find:

So it seems that contemporary materials are a bit more advanced.

Could hydrogen be contained well enough with contemporary technology? (with maybe an isolating layer of inert gas) Or would it be just interestingly looking but explosive, impractical or expensive in comparison to normal planes?

Sure, you could build a zeppelin filled with hydrogen using modern materials for the gas bags. However, you are still sitting with a bomb in your lap.

The Hindenburg is though to have caught fire because of a build up of static electricity on the vessel ignited hydrogen which invariably leaks through the material of the gas bags. It's hard to simultaneously eliminate sources of static electricity build-up while at the same time minimizing the amount of hydrogen gas which escapes through whatever material you use to hold the gas.

P K Pillai said:
Cube shaped gas cells of conducting rubber with a flame retarding coating?Can an airship be connected to an electrical ground?
I should treat your post as ironic, or really should imagine such airship dragging a cable to ground it when flying over lakes/seas? (sounds funny, but a long cable neither sounds technically impossible nor as too heavy)

Anyway - is it possible to connect at landing the airship in a way that would slowly discharge static charge?

The deal killer for airships is not the hydrogen risk, but rather the structural problems arising from the operation of an ocean liner sized vehicle in the air. Frozen precipitation and turbulence are very hard to design against, given the weight constraints. The vehicles work well when run very conservatively, but are so very vulnerable that they have proven incompatible with routine operations.

etudiant said:
...Frozen precipitation and turbulence are very hard to design against, given the weight constraints...

With dynamic air pressure proportional to v^2, I would think those forces would be, say, 25 fold less with a 100 kt aircraft versus the jet at 500 kts with all else the same.

mheslep said:
With dynamic air pressure proportional to v^2, I would think those forces would be, say, 25 fold less with a 100 kt aircraft versus the jet at 500 kts with all else the same.

Impact damage from rain or hail is not a big deal structurally for an aircraft, compared with hitting an 8-pound goose (or a flock of them), or even a 20-pound mute swan flying at 10,000 ft.

Trying to fly a 100kt aircraft in a controlled manner in a 80kt wind is a much bigger issue - especially when you need to land!

Water ingestion causing engine flame-out is a different aspect of the problem though.

I just saw a report that another company is trying its luck with a helium filled heavy lift airships, after the US military LEMV project was canceled by the sequestration spending cuts in 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Endurance_Multi-intelligence_Vehicle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26372277

Structural failure from bad weather destroyed the Akron, Macon and the Shenandoah. The atmosphere is able to produce such severe eddies and wind shears that large rigid airships are very much at risk. In addition, icing remains an unsolved problem. These issues are usually dealt with by avoidance, which clashes with the idea of a scheduled service. AlephZero adds the challenge of controlling these multi hundred foot long bubbles in a stiff wind while close to land. That puts the kibosh on the concept, imho.

SteamKing said:
Sure, you could build a zeppelin filled with hydrogen using modern materials for the gas bags. However, you are still sitting with a bomb in your lap.

The Hindenburg is though to have caught fire because of a build up of static electricity on the vessel ignited hydrogen which invariably leaks through the material of the gas bags. It's hard to simultaneously eliminate sources of static electricity build-up while at the same time minimizing the amount of hydrogen gas which escapes through whatever material you use to hold the gas.

IIRC, it wasn't the hydrogen that brought the Hindenburg down. But rather it was the flammable dope used to paint the outer fabric that led to the disaster. The hydrogen just added fuel to the fire. The early aircraft dopes used to protect the fabrics were accidents waiting to happen.

Ryoko said:
IIRC, it wasn't the hydrogen that brought the Hindenburg down. But rather it was the flammable dope used to paint the outer fabric that led to the disaster. The hydrogen just added fuel to the fire. The early aircraft dopes used to protect the fabrics were accidents waiting to happen.

To-may-to, To-mah-to, collecting a lot of hydrogen gas in one place is an accident waiting to happen.

1. What are hydrogen rigid air-ships?

Hydrogen rigid air-ships, also known as zeppelins, are a type of airship that use hydrogen gas to provide lift and propulsion. They were commonly used in the early 20th century for transportation and military purposes.

2. Why did hydrogen rigid air-ships fall out of use?

Hydrogen rigid air-ships were phased out due to safety concerns surrounding the use of hydrogen gas, which is highly flammable. The infamous Hindenburg disaster in 1937, where a zeppelin caught fire and crashed, led to a decline in their use.

3. Could hydrogen rigid air-ships make a comeback?

There has been some discussion and research into the potential return of hydrogen rigid air-ships. However, due to safety concerns and advancements in other forms of transportation, it is unlikely that they will return on a large scale.

4. What are the benefits of hydrogen rigid air-ships?

Hydrogen rigid air-ships have the potential to be a more environmentally friendly mode of transportation compared to airplanes, as they emit less carbon dioxide. They also have the ability to travel longer distances without needing to refuel.

5. Are there any current uses for hydrogen rigid air-ships?

While they are not commonly used for transportation, hydrogen rigid air-ships are still used for advertising and promotional purposes. They are also being explored for potential use in scientific research, such as monitoring weather patterns and studying the Earth's atmosphere.