Could I build a plasma laser from this?

In summary, two strong magnets in a vacuum will not create plasma. However, under very low temperatures hydrogen can become a super fluid and could potentially create a laser.
Dapperwolf
Homework Statement: So if I were to take Jew strong very strong magnets and place them repelling one another in a vacuum would I be able to create plasma and could I create a laser that can shoot it out?
Homework Equations: sorry new to this

:biggrin:

Science news on Phys.org
No. Why would you expect so?

If you just put magnets somewhere in a fixed position and nothing else then nothing happens. You can see this e.g. from conservation of energy.

Plasma is one of the four fundamental states of matter (the other three being gas,liquid,solid) and thus I doubt that it can be created from vacuum. Current technology creates plasma by applying strong electromagnetic field to various types of gases. Maybe you ll find the entry on plasma in Wikipedia informative and usefull:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

Likes davenn
Since this is a homework problem, you need to post it in the appropriate Homework forum and fill out the form showing your work.

Dapperwolf said:
Homework Statement: So if I were to take Jew strong very strong magnets and place them repelling one another in a vacuum would I be able to create plasma and could I create a laser that can shoot it out?
Homework Equations: sorry new to this
What is jew strong? I assume you didn't mean a racial slur, so what did you mean?

Likes DaveC426913
phinds said:
What is jew strong? I assume you didn't mean a racial slur, so what did you mean?
...take two strong (very strong) magnets...

marcusl said:
Since this is a homework problem, you need to post it in the appropriate Homework forum and fill out the form showing your work.
I moved it out of the homework forum because I'm quite sure this was not a homework problem.

sorry my phone mic is stupid

Yes two strong magnets in a vacuum, would it create plasma?

Sorry, very new to this site and thanks for moving my post

Dapperwolf said:
Yes two strong magnets in a vacuum, would it create plasma?
You have already been answered. No. See post #2. Plasma is matter. Magnets are not going to create matter from nothing.

What is that video supposed to show?

right, so then two strong diamagnetic magnets in a vacuum filled with hydrogen while being cooled to 273.15 kelvin

Dapperwolf said:
a vacuum filled with hydrogen
What the *&$(&#) ? A vacuum AND filled with hydrogen?. Please make up your mind what you are talking about !

to make plasma you need a gas so I gave you one, plus I want to know if under very low temperatures the hydrogen when becomes a super fluid what will actually happen

Dapperwolf said:
to make plasma you need a gas so I gave you one
But you also said it was a vacuum.
Dapperwolf said:
I want to know if under very low temperatures the hydrogen when becomes a super fluid what will actually happen
273K isn't a particularly low temperature - it's about the melting point of ice. And mfb's answer in post #2 stands as far as I can see. Why would you expect this to lase?

You can't just randomly put together some stuff and then expect whatever you want to be produced. That's not how the real world works.
As this thread isn't going to be helpful to anyone I closed it.

Likes DEvens, anorlunda, davenn and 2 others

1. Can I build a plasma laser from everyday materials?

No, building a plasma laser requires specialized equipment and materials that cannot be found in everyday objects. It also requires advanced knowledge and expertise in plasma physics.

2. What is a plasma laser and how does it work?

A plasma laser is a type of laser that uses a plasma medium to generate and amplify light. Plasma is a highly ionized gas that can be created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures. When a laser beam is passed through the plasma, it produces a highly focused and intense beam of light.

3. What are the potential applications of a plasma laser?

Plasma lasers have a wide range of potential applications, including cutting and welding in manufacturing, medical procedures, military and defense technologies, and research in fusion energy. They can also be used in entertainment, such as laser light shows.

4. How much would it cost to build a plasma laser?

The cost of building a plasma laser can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the laser. It can range from a few thousand dollars for a small, low-powered laser to millions of dollars for a large, high-powered laser used in research or industrial applications.

5. Is it safe to build and operate a plasma laser?

Building and operating a plasma laser can be dangerous and should only be done by trained professionals. The high temperatures and intense light produced by the laser can cause serious burns and eye damage. Proper safety precautions and equipment must be used to minimize the risks.