Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could light be a media for transport?

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Could light be a media for transport?

I realize that light is a wave, but isn't also a particle?

I mean if air can be used as a media, then why can't light, they are both particles.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    Don't really understand what you are talking about.
    Do you mean medium? And in either case, what do you mean by media/medium for transport?
    Light can be viewed as both a light and wave, correct.
    Air is an assembly of lots of different particles... but i don't see what you're getting at.
  4. May 11, 2008 #3
    Using light as a medium for information and such, why can't it be used for that purpose?
  5. May 11, 2008 #4
    You mean like, transmitting information, video, music, and communications via light? Or getting energy from it?
  6. May 11, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Fiber optics use light to transmit data, but I think you are confusing the medium with the wave that travels on it. Ie, sound is a wave, air is the medium. Transmittind data through air uses sound. Light is a little tougher, though, since it doesn't really travel over a medium and isn't easily classified as a particle or wave - it is something entirelydifferent, but it behaves sort of like a wave or particle depending on how it is measured.

Fiber optics utilize the wave-like properties of light to transmit data.
  7. May 11, 2008 #6
    What i was sarcastically getting at, is that radio everything is using light for just that purpose. So is fiber optics, as russ said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?