Could light be a media for transport?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Could light be a media for transport?

I realize that light is a wave, but isn't also a particle?

I mean if air can be used as a media, then why can't light, they are both particles.

Answers and Replies

Don't really understand what you are talking about.
Do you mean medium? And in either case, what do you mean by media/medium for transport?
Light can be viewed as both a light and wave, correct.
Air is an assembly of lots of different particles... but i don't see what you're getting at.

Using light as a medium for information and such, why can't it be used for that purpose?

You mean like, transmitting information, video, music, and communications via light? Or getting energy from it?

russ_watters
Mentor
Fiber optics use light to transmit data, but I think you are confusing the medium with the wave that travels on it. Ie, sound is a wave, air is the medium. Transmittind data through air uses sound. Light is a little tougher, though, since it doesn't really travel over a medium and isn't easily classified as a particle or wave - it is something entirelydifferent, but it behaves sort of like a wave or particle depending on how it is measured.

Fiber optics utilize the wave-like properties of light to transmit data.

What i was sarcastically getting at, is that radio everything is using light for just that purpose. So is fiber optics, as russ said.