Could Mars have supported life? NASA challenge wants your help

In summary: TomIn summary, NASA is holding a competition through DrivenData and HeroX to create a tool that can analyze data from spectrometers on Mars rovers. The deadline for submissions is April 18, 2022 and the competition is open to anyone. The goal is to find a solution to the question of extraterrestrial life on Mars. A cash prize is also being offered to the winner.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Likes Jarvis323
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

This sounds like an exciting project! I think creating a tool to analyze data from spectrometers on Mars rovers could greatly benefit NASA's exploration efforts. Plus, with the deadline being in April 2022, it gives plenty of time for participants to develop a robust and accurate tool.

I took a look at the competition eligibility and rules on the DrivenData website, and it seems like they have a clear and fair process in place. I also checked out the HeroX Challenge page and it's great to see that there is a cash prize for the winner. It definitely adds an extra level of motivation for participants.

I'm also glad to see that this competition is open to anyone, regardless of their background or location. This really allows for a diverse range of ideas and solutions to be presented.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this competition and how it will contribute to NASA's mission on Mars. Good luck to all the participants, and let's have some fun with this challenge!

1. Is there evidence of liquid water on Mars?

Yes, there is strong evidence that liquid water once flowed on the surface of Mars. NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has detected hydrated minerals, ancient riverbeds, and seasonal flows of briny water on the planet.

2. What are the key requirements for a planet to support life?

The key requirements for a planet to support life include liquid water, a source of energy, and a stable atmosphere. Other factors such as a suitable temperature range, essential elements and nutrients, and protection from harmful radiation are also important.

3. How does Mars' atmosphere compare to Earth's?

Mars' atmosphere is much thinner and contains mostly carbon dioxide, with very little oxygen. This makes it difficult for liquid water to exist on the surface and for life as we know it to survive. Earth's atmosphere, on the other hand, is mostly nitrogen and oxygen, which are essential for supporting life.

4. Has NASA found any evidence of past life on Mars?

While there is currently no definitive evidence of past life on Mars, NASA's Curiosity rover has found organic molecules, which are the building blocks of life, in Martian rocks. This suggests that the conditions on Mars may have been favorable for life in the past.

5. How will NASA's Mars 2020 mission help us understand if Mars could have supported life?

NASA's Mars 2020 mission will collect and analyze samples of Martian rocks and soil, which could provide valuable insights into the planet's past habitability. The rover will also search for signs of past microbial life and assess the potential for future human exploration on Mars.

Back