Could someone clarify the Multiverse theory of things

In summary, the Multiverse theory may be the wrong wording but I was thinking about the ideas seen on Science programs and in fiction where a decision made in this universe spawns a set of alternate universes to cover all possible decisions. I am sure you've seen the sort of thing. My thinking on the scenario above is that an identical pilot in an identical situation will make an identical decision - ie. there never can be the possibility of two universes unless a deterministic process past->present includes random events. This idea comes from this thought experiment. Imaging an all powerful being who is capable of freezing this universe - stopping time- stopping everything. He then clones this universe and creates an exact duplicate. He then unfreezes these universes for 1ms and
peter09
Hi,
I guess the Multiverse theory may be the wrong wording but I was thinking about the ideas seen on Science programs and in fiction where a decision made in this universe spawns a set of alternate universes to cover all possible decisions. I am sure you've seen the sort of thing

- Pilot decides to shoot/not shoot at alien --- spawning a Universe at war with the aliens and a universe at peace --- or similar.

My thinking on the scenario above is that an identical pilot in an identical situation will make an identical decision - ie. there never can be the possibility of two universes unless a deterministic process past->present includes random events.

This idea comes from this thought experiment.

Imaging an all powerful being who is capable of freezing this universe - stopping time- stopping everything. He then clones this universe and creates an exact duplicate. He then unfreezes these universes for 1ms and then stops both again and examines each for differences.

For a macro sized event such as the pilot above I believe he will always make the same decision, in Universe(a) and Uni(b) his neurons are primed identically and I cannot figure any Macro event that will make a difference.

So the question is what mechanisms do we expect to operate that will make these universes different to our detailed view. Anything that can be labeled deterministic cannot change things.

My thinking (wild and woolly as it is) would suggest that only truly random events can make a difference and this descends into

• How do we know what is truly random against driven by a deterministic process we do not understand
  • Every quantum twitch in the universe generates a new alternate universe (thats a lot of universes)

An example would be a radioactive particle which decays/does not decay. Presumable this theory would expect alternate universes for this action.

Can anyone help me with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can not answer directly, but I will say in the past I have come across many extraordinary discussions of this right here in PF.
You might try PF's search function.

The best up to date discussion is in John Gribbin's book In Search of the Multiverse.

Charlie T.

1. What is the Multiverse theory?

The Multiverse theory is the idea that our universe is just one of many parallel universes that exist simultaneously. It suggests that there are an infinite number of other universes with different physical laws, constants, and outcomes.

2. How does the Multiverse theory explain the existence of our universe?

The Multiverse theory suggests that our universe is just one of many possible outcomes that resulted from the Big Bang. It proposes that there are an infinite number of universes, each with different initial conditions, leading to the creation of multiple universes with different physical laws and properties.

3. Is there any evidence to support the Multiverse theory?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence to prove the existence of the Multiverse theory. However, some physicists believe that certain observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, could be explained by the existence of other universes.

4. How does the Multiverse theory affect our understanding of the universe?

The Multiverse theory challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and raises questions about the concept of reality. It also has implications for the origin and evolution of our universe and the possibility of other forms of life existing in other universes.

5. Can the Multiverse theory be proven or disproven?

As of now, the Multiverse theory remains a theoretical concept without any definitive proof or disproof. Some scientists believe that with advancements in technology and further research, it may be possible to gather evidence to support or refute this theory in the future.