Pilot Wave Theory: Against the Rest of Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: Not sure if the article is talking about the Copenhagen interpretation or the Pilot Wave theory, but the article does say that the wave function in configuration space can be replaced by single-particle wave functions in physical space. I think this might be a good thing because it removes some of the mystery from quantum mechanics. I'm not sure though.
manases
Hi, I was reading about the Pilot Wave theory.

I also found this vid:

Is the Pilot Wave theory against most of the other interpretations of QM?

And what are the main things one needs to accept?
- In pilot wave theory,
--- we have to accept a medium of unknown particles.
--- Universe is determinable
- In Copenhagen theory
--- we have to accept some uncertainty principles
--- we have to accept randomness exists at particle levels

Looking down the line - the pilot wave could evolve to the point when we do understand the medium.
While the Copenhagen theory is fully matured - it just says you can't know now nor in the future.
So basically you can choose to hope in a deterministic Universe or you can abandon this hope?What is the current position on this - which theory do you guys like?
Are there any polls - scientists adhere to the pilot wave theory like 20% or something like this?
I read it was infirmed recently - but not totally - some guys said they didn't found the right values to make it work.

Physics news on Phys.org
manases said:
What is the current position on this - which theory do you guys like?
Quantum mechanics starts to make sense for me on Pilot Wave theory. I always fancied physics to be in the business of physical theories and it ticks that checkbox too.

Minnesota Joe said:
Quantum mechanics starts to make sense for me on Pilot Wave theory.
Same with me. Moreover, in my case even Copenhagen QM made much more sense after I understood pilot wave theory.

Likes Minnesota Joe
I see some merit in the de Broglie-Bohm interpretation and I appreciate the work which goes into it but pictures like the thumbnail of the video above don't fit well into my mental world of concepts. The picture shows a wavy medium (like water) and a ball which floats in the medium. However, there are big conceptual differences between pilot waves and water waves:
1) Pilot waves don't live in 3D space but in configuration space (which coincides with 3D space only in the case of a single particle).
2) If I remove the ball from the water, the water remains. The pilot wave on the other hand can only coexist with the particle. No particle, no wavy medium.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier

1. What is Pilot Wave Theory?

Pilot Wave Theory, also known as de Broglie-Bohm theory, is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of a hidden variable that guides the behavior of particles in addition to the wave function. It suggests that particles have definite positions and trajectories, unlike in other interpretations of quantum mechanics where particles only have a probability of being in a certain position.

2. How does Pilot Wave Theory differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

Pilot Wave Theory differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, by proposing the existence of a hidden variable that determines the behavior of particles. This means that in Pilot Wave Theory, particles have definite positions and trajectories, while in other interpretations, particles only exist as probabilities until they are measured.

3. What evidence supports Pilot Wave Theory?

There is currently no direct evidence that supports Pilot Wave Theory over other interpretations of quantum mechanics. However, some experiments have shown results that are consistent with the predictions of Pilot Wave Theory, such as the double-slit experiment. Additionally, some scientists argue that Pilot Wave Theory provides a more intuitive and complete explanation of quantum phenomena.

4. What are the criticisms of Pilot Wave Theory?

One of the main criticisms of Pilot Wave Theory is that it is a non-local theory, meaning that the behavior of particles at one location can be affected by the actions of an observer at a distant location. This goes against the principles of special relativity. Additionally, Pilot Wave Theory has not yet been able to fully explain certain quantum phenomena, such as entanglement.

5. Is Pilot Wave Theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

No, Pilot Wave Theory is not widely accepted by the scientific community. The majority of physicists still adhere to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, which does not require the existence of a hidden variable. However, there is ongoing research and debate surrounding Pilot Wave Theory, and some scientists believe that it has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of quantum mechanics.