Could someone help me find the Covariance of these two distributions

In summary, you are trying to find the probability that V/U<a. You first find P(V/U<a) which is 1-P(X<1/(a+1)), and then use the inequality to conclude that a/(a+1) is equal to 1/(a+1).
LHS

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7551/unledsi.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get E=1/3 and E[V]=1, can't get E[UV] to be correct as I do not get the required answer, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expected value of V sounds wrong. Both X and Y are distributed over the interval [0,1], so V=max{X,Y} would also be. Since the maximum value V can attain is 1 and it'll usually be less than 1, I'd think E[V]<1.

Show us what you've done so far so we can see where the problem lies.

Hmm.. yes, you are correct. I'm trying to work out E(U) now, then as max(X,Y)=1-min(X,Y) we can say E(V)=1-E(U)

But X and Y aren't independent so that's why I previously got it wrong.
So far have
P(U<u)=P(X<u,Y>u)+P(X<u,Y<u)+P(X>u,Y<u)

Not sure if that's correct, but previously I split these up and used the information about X and Y to find P(U<u). Kinda stuck seeing what to do here now..

LHS said:
Hmm.. yes, you are correct. I'm trying to work out E(U) now, then as max(X,Y)=1-min(X,Y) we can say E(V)=1-E(U)
This isn't correct. For example, suppose X=1/4 and Y=1/2. Then min{X,Y}=1/4 and max{X,Y}=1/2, so max{X,Y} isn't equal to 1-min{X,Y}
But X and Y aren't independent so that's why I previously got it wrong.
So far have
P(U<u)=P(X<u,Y>u)+P(X<u,Y<u)+P(X>u,Y<u)

Not sure if that's correct, but previously I split these up and used the information about X and Y to find P(U<u). Kinda stuck seeing what to do here now..

Hmm.. you are right.. but surely it would still be true that E(V)=1-E(U)?

Probably. It seems like it should from symmetry considerations.

What did you get for the P(U<u)? I found it equaled 2u.

So did I, I believe that must be correct. However I just said that it's because U must be uniformly distributed on [0,1/2] because Y=1-X and X,Y are uniformly distributed on [0,1], think there's a more rigorous way of proving this?

Also for E(UV), UV=min(X,Y)max(X,Y) so does this equal XY and hence E(UV)=E(X(1-X))
=E(X-X^2)
=E(X)-E(x^2)?

Edit: Yes, gives Cov(U,V)=-1/48 :)

LHS said:
So did I, I believe that must be correct. However I just said that it's because U must be uniformly distributed on [0,1/2] because Y=1-X and X,Y are uniformly distributed on [0,1], think there's a more rigorous way of proving this?
If U<u, then you know that X<u or Y<u. In terms of just X, you have X<u or 1-X<u. So...

Ah of course! Thanks for your patience here, as you can probably tell probability is not my strong area.
If I can be cheeky enough to bother you anymore, any tips on going about finding the density of V/U?

I've found probability to be one of the more difficult subjects as well. The basic concepts seem straightforward, but it's pretty easy to get confused trying to apply them correctly.

For V/U, try approaching it like you did with the covariance, so you get either X/Y or Y/X. It seems like it should work out.

Indeed, that's entirely the problem. Give me some calculus or dynamics any day!

Hmm.. so V/U equals Y/X or X/Y, so (1-X)/X or (1-Y)/Y, which both have the same distribution, so we can say:
P(V/U<a)=P((1-X)/X<a)=1-P(X<1/(a+1)) = a/(a+1)?

If not don't worry, I'll come back to it, Thank you ever so much! you've been extremely helpful!

1. What is the definition of covariance?

Covariance is a statistical measure that quantifies the relationship between two variables. It measures how much two variables change together, and whether they have a positive, negative, or no relationship.

2. How is covariance calculated?

Covariance is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the deviations of each variable from their respective means, and then dividing by the total number of observations.

3. What does a positive covariance indicate?

A positive covariance indicates that the two variables have a direct relationship, meaning that when one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. This relationship could be strong or weak, depending on the magnitude of the covariance.

4. How is covariance used in data analysis?

Covariance is used to measure the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It is commonly used in data analysis to determine whether there is a correlation between two variables and to what extent they are related.

5. What is the difference between covariance and correlation?

Covariance measures the direction and strength of the relationship between two variables, while correlation measures the strength of the relationship. Correlation is a standardized version of covariance, which makes it easier to compare the relationships between different pairs of variables.