Could someone tell me what is wrong with this bit of latex

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bit Latex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DeusAbscondus
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
$\left( \text{The ones you see were done by use of} $
$\text{perpendiculars}\r) $$$\left(\text{The ones you see were done by use of perpendiculars}\right)$$
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: could someone tell me what is wrong witht this bit of latex

I can't see the problem, other than the fact that perhaps you should have ended it with a
Code:
\right)
instead of
Code:
\r).
 
Re: could someone tell me what is wrong witht this bit of latex

DeusAbscondus said:
$\left( \text{The ones you see were done by use of} $
$\text{perpendiculars}\r) $$$\left(\text{The ones you see were done by use of perpendiculars}\right)$$

$\left( \text{The ones you see were done by use of}
\text{ perpendiculars} \right) $

When you use "\left(" you must also use "\right)" in the same bit of code, if I understand our Mathjax version of Latex correctly. In your original post you've separated these parts by ending the initial \$ and beginning a new \$. If you drop this part then the code works fine. As Fantini said, you should use \right) instead of \r) as well. To see what code I've used in this post then simply quote my post.
 
Re: could someone tell me what is wrong witht this bit of latex

Jameson said:
$\left( \text{The ones you see were done by use of}
\text{ perpendiculars} \right) $

When you use "\left(" you must also use "\right)" in the same bit of code, if I understand our Mathjax version of Latex correctly. In your original post you've separated these parts by ending the initial \$ and beginning a new \$. If you drop this part then the code works fine. As Fantini said, you should use \right) instead of \r) as well. To see what code I've used in this post then simply quote my post.

Okay, thanks Jameson, Fantini: much appreciated.
I think I was neglecting or overusing a gap somewhere by the looks of it.

Regs,
Deus Abs