Could you pls advise me any books where in detail is described Hydrogen atom

In summary, the basic structure of a Hydrogen atom consists of a single proton in its nucleus and a single electron orbiting around the nucleus in a spherical shape. This structure was first discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 through his gold foil experiment. The Hydrogen atom holds great significance in chemistry as it is the most abundant element in the universe and plays a crucial role in various chemical reactions. Some recommended books for a detailed description of the Hydrogen atom include "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, "The Hydrogen Atom: An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Walter Johnson, and "The Quantum World of the Atom" by P.A.M. Dirac. The structure of the Hydrogen atom, with its single electron in
Neitrino
Dear PF,

Could you pls advise me any books where in detail is described Hydrogen atom (relativisticaly).

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
We covered it when I was a student. I liked the book we used:
Gordon Baym, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics

Sure, there are many books that go into detail about the Hydrogen atom, both from a classical and relativistic perspective. Some recommendations include:

1. "The Hydrogen Atom: Precision Physics of Simple Atomic Systems" by Savely G. Karshenboim - This book provides a comprehensive overview of the Hydrogen atom, including its structure, energy levels, and interactions with other particles.

2. "Quantum Mechanics of One- and Two-Electron Atoms" by Hans A. Bethe and Edwin E. Salpeter - This book delves into the quantum mechanics of the Hydrogen atom and its simplest counterpart, the Helium atom.

3. "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths - While not specifically about the Hydrogen atom, this textbook covers the fundamentals of quantum mechanics, which are essential for understanding the behavior of the Hydrogen atom.

4. "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Fields" by Claude Itzykson and Jean-Bernard Zuber - This book delves into the relativistic aspects of quantum mechanics, including the Hydrogen atom and other simple atomic systems.

I hope these recommendations are helpful and provide the level of detail you are looking for. Happy reading!

Related to Could you pls advise me any books where in detail is described Hydrogen atom

1. What is the basic structure of a Hydrogen atom?

The basic structure of a Hydrogen atom consists of a single proton in its nucleus, and a single electron orbiting around the nucleus in a spherical shape.

2. How was the structure of the Hydrogen atom discovered?

The structure of the Hydrogen atom was first discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 through his gold foil experiment, where he observed the deflection of alpha particles when passed through a thin sheet of gold foil.

3. What is the significance of the Hydrogen atom in chemistry?

The Hydrogen atom is considered the building block of chemistry as it is the most abundant element in the universe, and its unique properties make it a crucial component in various chemical reactions.

4. Can you recommend any books that provide a detailed description of the Hydrogen atom?

Some recommended books that provide a detailed description of the Hydrogen atom include "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, "The Hydrogen Atom: An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Walter Johnson, and "The Quantum World of the Atom" by P.A.M. Dirac.

5. How does the structure of the Hydrogen atom relate to its chemical properties?

The structure of the Hydrogen atom, with its single electron in the outermost shell, makes it highly reactive and easily forms bonds with other elements. This is why Hydrogen is commonly found in compounds such as water and hydrocarbons.