Coulomb Energy in the KI Molecule: Solving for Separation Distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mateomy
Messages
305
Reaction score
0
The ionization of potassium is 4.34 eV; the electron affinity of iodine is 3.06 eV. At what separation distance will the KI molecule gain enough Coulomb energy to overcome the energy needed to form the [itex]K^+[/itex] and [itex]I^-[/itex] ions?

I'm looking at the solution to this problem and I'm not understanding how they get the Coulomb energy. Is it just the
[tex] E_n=\frac{-Z^2 (13.6eV)}{n^2}[/tex]
equation? I'm not getting the same numbers they're getting so I think I'm confused on the definition of Coulomb energy. Can someone clarify it for me. I understand the Coulomb repulsion/attraction is what I've seen over and over again from electrostatics...but I don't see how to tie that into this problem. Specifically because I don't know the radius of the particular ions.

They're getting values of 3.06 and 4.34 eV

Please and Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh, nevermind. My brain is fried...I figured it out.