1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law and drawing vectors

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three charges are on the x~axis about five cm apart. Charge A is three micro C, charge B is negative four micro C, and charge C is five micro C. What is the effect on B?

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea how to solve this or the formula involved.

3. The attempt at a solution

Completely clueless, just would like to know how to solve it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2
    Coulomb's law. Draw the force vectors calculated for both [tex]F_{a->b}[/tex] and [tex]F_{c->b}[/tex].

[tex]F_{e}=\frac{Kq_{1}q_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

4. May 29, 2007 #3
    sorry i'm lost, i have no idea how to implement that. what are force vectors?

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    Its ok. Did you draw a diagram? Start by drawing a diagram. I am assuming that A is on the left of B and B is on the left of C, right?

Does A exert a force to the left or the right on B?

How about C, does it exert a force to the left or the right on B?

6. May 29, 2007 #5
    Hint: think opposites attract.. Which of the charges are positively charged? Which are negatively charged?

7. May 29, 2007 #6
    how do you draw the diagram? i'm completely confused, you're talking to me in riddles. do you know of a website that shows step by step how to work these type of problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?