Coulomb's Law and spheres Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the value of q/Q that will maximize the electrostatic force between two tiny spheres after a portion of charge is transferred from one to the other. The individual is attempting to use the same method as a previous problem, but is struggling with differentiating the equation. They eventually realize their mistake and determine that it is not necessary to factor before differentiating.
frankfjf

Homework Statement

Of the charge Q initially on a tiny sphere, a portion q is to be transferred to a second, nearby sphere. Both spheres can be treated as particles. For what value of q/Q will the electrostatic force between the two spheres be maximized?

Homework Equations

(k)(q1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted a similar problem concerning an electric field some time ago, and am attempting to use the same solution, that is, taking the derivative of the equation I end up with, but the derivative ends up being zero for me. I end up with:

k(Q-q)q / r^2

And then after factoring out k/r^2, I'm left with just (Q-q)q. I tried doing a derivation using the product rule, but I just end up with zero. When I try to derive this, I get:

1 * (1-1) + (Q-q) which just leaves me with Q - q, which is not the answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You differentiated the equation with respect to...?

Ah nevermind, upon multiplying the q back into the (Q-q) and then deriving, I get the correct answer. However, can it be said as a rule of thumb that you should factor AFTER taking the derivative, or are there situations where you should factor beforehand?

neutrino said:
You differentiated the equation with respect to...?

Basically I used df/dq.

frankfjf said:
However, can it be said as a rule of thumb that you should factor AFTER taking the derivative, or are there situations where you should factor beforehand?

There's no difference between: [tex]\frac{d}{dq}\left(q(Q-q)\right)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d}{dq}\left(qQ-q^2\right)[/tex], and this holds true no matter what kind of functions are in the product. (They should be continuous of course.)

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law applied to spheres?

Coulomb's Law can be applied to spheres by considering the charges on each sphere as point charges located at their centers. This allows for the calculation of the force between the two spheres based on their charges and the distance between their centers.

3. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between their centers.

4. How does the distance between two charged spheres affect the force between them?

The force between two charged spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between their centers. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between non-spherical objects?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between any two charged objects, regardless of their shape. However, for non-spherical objects, the calculation may be more complex as the charges may not be located at their centers and the distance between them may vary depending on their orientation.