1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and spheres Problem

1. May 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Of the charge Q initially on a tiny sphere, a portion q is to be transferred to a second, nearby sphere. Both spheres can be treated as particles. For what value of q/Q will the electrostatic force between the two spheres be maximized?

2. Relevant equations

(k)(q1q2)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I posted a similar problem concerning an electric field some time ago, and am attempting to use the same solution, that is, taking the derivative of the equation I end up with, but the derivative ends up being zero for me. I end up with:

k(Q-q)q / r^2

And then after factoring out k/r^2, I'm left with just (Q-q)q. I tried doing a derivation using the product rule, but I just end up with zero. When I try to derive this, I get:

1 * (1-1) + (Q-q) which just leaves me with Q - q, which is not the answer. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2
    You differentiated the equation with respect to...?

4. May 29, 2007 #3
    Ah nevermind, upon multiplying the q back into the (Q-q) and then deriving, I get the correct answer. However, can it be said as a rule of thumb that you should factor AFTER taking the derivative, or are there situations where you should factor beforehand?

5. May 29, 2007 #4
    Basically I used df/dq.

6. May 29, 2007 #5
    There's no difference between: [tex]\frac{d}{dq}\left(q(Q-q)\right)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d}{dq}\left(qQ-q^2\right)[/tex], and this holds true no matter what kind of functions are in the product. (They should be continuous of course.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?