Correct statement about force between two charges

In summary, the question presents two conducting spheres A and B with charges +Qa and -Qb respectively, a distance d apart with d slightly greater than the sum of their radii. The question asks which statement about the electrostatic forces F between the spheres is true, with options ranging from F < kQaQb/d^2 to F > kQaQb/(d-ra-rb)^2. After discussing the distribution of charge on the spheres and considering the effect of different amounts of charge, the experts conclude that the most correct answer is C, but D may also be a valid answer.
songoku

Homework Statement

Two conducting spheres A and B, of radii ra and rb, carry charges +Qa and - Qb respectively. The centers of the spheres are a distance d apart with d slightly greater than ra+rb. Which of the following statements about the electrostatic forces F between the spheres is true?
a. F < k QaQb/d2
b. F = k QaQb/d2
c. F > k QaQb/d2
d. F < k QaQb/(d - ra - rb)2
e. F > k QaQb/(d - ra - rb)2

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is B but I am considering another answer which is C because the charge on each sphere is not evenly distributed throughout the surface but will be collected to one side of the sphere. So it is B or C?

Thanks

Edit: revising choices of answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
the charge on each sphere is not evenly distributed throughout the surface but will be collected to one side of the sphere.
Right, but in a way that increases or reduces the attraction?

What about d and e? Could one of those be true too?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Right, but in a way that increases or reduces the attraction?
The center of charge distribution is not same as center of sphere anymore so the center of the charge distribution is less than d, making the attractive force bigger

What about d and e? Could one of those be true too?
The distance in the denominator is from surface to surface so it may not represents the distance from center of charge to center of charge.

Edit: I just realized that option (d) is possible because the distance between the center of charge distribution is bigger than distance from surface to surface

Last edited:
songoku said:
The center of charge distribution is not same as center of sphere anymore so the center of the charge distribution is less than d, making the attractive force biggerThe distance in the denominator is from surface to surface so it may not represents the distance from center of charge to center of charge.

Edit: I just realized that option (d) is possible because the distance between the center of charge distribution is bigger than distance from surface to surface

What if ##Q_a = -e## and ##Q_b = e##, where ##e## is the charge on an electron?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What if ##Q_a = -e## and ##Q_b = e##, where ##e## is the charge on an electron?

Does the amount of charge affect the answer?

Thanks

songoku said:
Does the amount of charge affect the answer?

Thanks

What do you think? Why did I suggest this example? Do some calculations.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What do you think? Why did I suggest this example? Do some calculations.

Sorry I do not know what to calculate and I do not understand the purpose of your hint.

Changing the amount of charge will change the magnitude of the force but in my opinion in this question the distance is the variable that I need to consider, not the charge.

I think changing the charge won't affect the distance or maybe not significantly.

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry I do not know what to calculate and I do not understand the purpose of your hint.

Changing the amount of charge will change the magnitude of the force but in my opinion in this question the distance is the variable that I need to consider, not the charge.

I think changing the charge won't affect the distance or maybe not significantly.

Thanks

What do you think about d)? It looks like a good answer to me, at first sight at least. Can you see why answer e) is impossible?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What do you think about d)? It looks like a good answer to me, at first sight at least. Can you see why answer e) is impossible?

I think there are two correct answer C or D.

B is not possible because the distance needed to calculate the force is not equal to d.

E is not possible because the distance should be bigger than d - ra - rb so the force will be less than that

songoku said:
I think there are two correct answer C or D.

B is not possible because the distance needed to calculate the force is not equal to d.

E is not possible because the distance should be bigger than d - ra - rb so the force will be less than that

That's not a bad answer. Technically, if there is only one unit of charge on each sphere, then those charges would end up precisely ##d - r_a - r_b## apart and you would have equality in equation d). So, technically, d) would need to be ##\le## to be correct in all cases.

I'm not sure whether the question setter intended you to think about this. If there is only one correct answer, then it must be c). It's "more correct" than d). It doesn't say "in all cases" and d) is usually true.

Likes songoku
I understand.

Thank you very much for the help haruspex and perok

1. What is the force between two charges?

The force between two charges is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is governed by Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force between two charges calculated?

The force between two charges can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force (F) is equal to the product of the two charges (q1 and q2) divided by the square of the distance (r) between them, multiplied by a constant (k) known as the Coulomb constant: F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2.

3. What is the direction of the force between two charges?

The direction of the force between two charges depends on the type of charges involved. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract each other. The force is always along the line connecting the two charges.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the force?

The force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between two charges is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

5. What is the unit of force between two charges?

The unit of force between two charges is the Newton (N). It is named after Sir Isaac Newton and is defined as the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared. In terms of Coulomb's law, the Coulomb constant (k) has a value of 8.987 x 109 N*m2/C2.