Coulumb's Law at 1 light year distance

Ggb
Hi,
What happens to the force when the particle are kept at 1 light year distance. I agree practically the force would be very weak because of inverse square law, theoretically what happens to the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plugging that distance into the formula for Coulomb's law?

Ggb said:
Hi,
What happens to the force when the particle are kept at 1 light year distance. I agree practically the force would be very weak because of inverse square law, theoretically what happens to the force?
I don’t understand the question. If someone asked “what happens to the force at 1 m distance?” what would be the answer you are looking for? What are you looking for with the word “happens”?

Likes nasu and Vanadium 50
Ggb said:
I agree practically the force would be very weak because of inverse square law, theoretically what happens to the force?
You already have the answer within the question. It would be very weak unless the charge on each particle was extremely high.

Likes russ_watters and DeBangis21
Dale said:
If someone asked “what happens to the force at 1 m distance?” what would be the answer you are looking for?
Could he be wondering about the delay at 1ly?

sophiecentaur said:
Could he be wondering about the delay?
If he means Coulomb's Law literally then I don't think so, no, because that's the field of an eternal stationary charge and it is unchanging throughout all of space. Maybe OP does mean something else, but he hasn't been seen since posting this so I reckon we should wait until he comes back before going too far off on a tangent. (I'm a shoo-in for this year's hypocrisy award with this...)

Likes Nugatory
Ibix said:
(I'm a shoo-in for this year's hypocrisy award with this...)
Stand aside, young man - I'm ahead of your in the line.

Likes Ibix
sophiecentaur said:
It could be that. I don’t know, which is why I asked.

sophiecentaur said:

Ibix said:
If he means Coulomb's Law literally then I don't think so, no, because that's the field of an eternal stationary charge and it is unchanging throughout all of space. Maybe OP does mean something else, but he hasn't been seen since posting this so I reckon we should wait until he comes back before going too far off on a tangent. (I'm a shoo-in for this year's hypocrisy award with this...)

sophiecentaur said:
Stand aside, young man - I'm ahead of your in the line.

Dale said:
It could be that. I don’t know, which is why I asked.
One minute? Looks like a "drive-by" to me.

Likes sophiecentaur and Vanadium 50

1. What is Coulomb's Law at 1 light year distance?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the force change at 1 light year distance compared to closer distances?

The force described by Coulomb's Law decreases significantly as the distance between the two charges increases. At 1 light year distance, the force between two charges is incredibly small compared to the force at closer distances.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to objects at 1 light year distance?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to objects at 1 light year distance. However, at such a large distance, the force between two charges would be so small that it would likely be negligible in most practical situations.

4. Is Coulomb's Law affected by the speed of light at 1 light year distance?

No, Coulomb's Law is not affected by the speed of light at 1 light year distance. This is because the force between two charges is a static force, meaning it does not depend on the speed of the charges.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between two objects at 1 light year distance?

Technically, yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between two objects at 1 light year distance. However, due to the incredibly small force at this distance, it would be impractical and more accurate methods would likely be used instead.