Council of Europe Banning Wifi in Schools?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Studiot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Europe Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Studiot
Messages
5,434
Reaction score
11
The Council of Europe will be debating a motion to ban wifi internet and mobile phones in schools on health and safety grounds on Friday 27 May 2011.

http://www.learningwithoutfrontiers.com/blog/2011/5/16/fear-of-a-wireless-planet.html
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Studiot said:
The Council of Europe will be debating a motion to ban wifi internet and mobile phones in schools on health and safety grounds on Friday 27 May 2011.

http://www.learningwithoutfrontiers.com/blog/2011/5/16/fear-of-a-wireless-planet.html
This article is about yellow journalism. ?? Did you mean to post a link to the actual article?
 
I actually learned of the motion from a BBC radio broadcast, which I obviously can't post.

I simply posted a site I found that contained a summary and lots of links to the proposal. Since time was short I thought it would allow anyone interested to follow it up more closely.

Sorry if this is a problem. No-one here seem particularly bothered though.
 
Studiot said:
I actually learned of the motion from a BBC radio broadcast, which I obviously can't post.

I simply posted a site I found that contained a summary and lots of links to the proposal. Since time was short I thought it would allow anyone interested to follow it up more closely.

Sorry if this is a problem. No-one here seem particularly bothered though.
Ah, no problem. I would like to read the original article since these people seem to be going against rational scientific information.
 
I didn't say I agreed with it, I just wanted to publicise yet another beaurocratic idiocy, foisted on us (at our expense) by Eurocrats.
 
http://assembly.coe.int/ASP/NewsManager/EMB_NewsManagerView.asp?ID=6685

Risk of head tumours... I wonder if this resolution is not too late for some. "We cannot assess the risk" is in this context equivalent to "risk is so low we have problem filtering it from the background noise" - at least that's my understanding of the situation, if after many years of research there is still no clear answer. So in a way this is equivalent to "we cannot assess the risk of wolverines attacks, so we need to build higher fences".
 
Borek said:
http://assembly.coe.int/ASP/NewsManager/EMB_NewsManagerView.asp?ID=6685

Risk of head tumours... I wonder if this resolution is not too late for some. "We cannot assess the risk" is in this context equivalent to "risk is so low we have problem filtering it from the background noise" - at least that's my understanding of the situation, if after many years of research there is still no clear answer. So in a way this is equivalent to "we cannot assess the risk of wolverines attacks, so we need to build higher fences".

Restricting cell phone usage in a classroom is one discussion - IMO a good idea. However, restricting wi-fi seems like a very slippery slope?
 
WhoWee said:
Restricting cell phone usage in a classroom is one discussion - IMO a good idea.

No discussion for me - classroom should be mobile free zone, and not because of the health issues.